No. 19 Texas takes down No. 27 Tulsa

No. 19 Texas continued its recent hot streak with a 4-2 home victory over No. 27 Tulsa on  Saturday afternoon. The win is the Longhorns’ eighth triumph in their last nine matches.

“We were really trying to hang on, hang on, and all of a sudden the last 30-45 minutes, I just thought we stepped up and played really well,” head coach Michael Center said. “I was really proud of what I saw today. I thought the energy was good. It was a great effort by the team and a great win over a really good team.”

Texas came out strong in double with junior George Goldhoff and redshirt freshman Julian Zlobinksy dominating at two doubles, 6-0, against senior Dylan McCloskey and freshman Dominic Bechard. But their effort went all for naught as Tulsa took the doubles point, after winning the one and three doubles matches.

Freshman Harrison Scott immediately tied the score at 1 apiece after defeating sophomore Juan Matias Gonzalez in straight sets. Zlobinsky gave the Longhorns a 6-4, 6-4 win against freshman Francois Kellerman. Tulsa tied the score at 2 apiece with a win in the No. 1 singles, but senior Michael Riechmann put the Longhorns ahead for good with a third-set tiebreaker win over senior Dylan McCloskey, 3-6, 6-3, 6-4. Sophomore Adrian Ortiz defeated his opponent, senior Carlos Bautista, in straight sets to give Texas the win.

The Longhorns are now 12-6 for the season and have a 5-4 home record. Texas will return to action next Saturday against UTSA at the Polo Tennis Club at noon.