Longhorns fall 3-2 to Texas Tech, remain winless in Big 12 play

The Longhorns had the opportunity they wanted, despite trailing 3-2 in the bottom of the seventh against Texas Tech on Friday.

Sophomore catcher Randel Leahy stepped to the plate with two outs and runners at the corners. But Leahy grounded into a fielder’s, sealing the loss and dropping the Longhorns to a 0–3 record to start conference play.

The Red Raiders struck first, getting an infield single and a double to take a 1-0 lead in the top of the first inning. But junior pitcher Tiarra Davis eventually settled in. She kept the Red Raiders off the board for the next three innings while striking out three batters and allowing three base runners.

Meanwhile, the Longhorn offense came through with support for Davis in the bottom of the third. After junior left fielder Stephanie Wong was hit by a pitch and stole second, Davis drilled a double to center field to tie the game.

Two batters later, senior right fielder Holly Kern lined a double to right-center field to give Texas its first lead of the game.

But the Red Raiders fought back in the top of the fifth, tying the game on an RBI fielder’s choice by freshman outfielder Kiani Ramsey. They then took the lead two innings later on a wild pitch by Davis.

Texas tried to tie the game in the bottom half of the inning with singles by Celina Felix and Kern, but a fly out by junior shortstop Devon Tunning and Leahy’s groundout ended the comeback attempt.

Davis finished the night with seven strikeouts and four walks and allowing six hits. Her Red Raider counterpart, junior Mattison Maisel, pitched 5.1 innings, giving up six hits while striking out three batters.

The loss keeps Texas in a tie with Iowa State and Oklahoma State for last place in the conference. The Longhorns will try again for their first win in Big 12 play tomorrow at 1 p.m.