Longhorns finish first round of Bryan Regional in tie for eighth

The Longhorns overcame an up-and-down day to finish the first round of the NCAA Bryan Regional in a tie for eighth at five-over par.

Texas’ round puts them three shots back of Miami, who currently holds the sixth and final spot to qualify for the championship round at the end of the month.

Junior Julia Beck led the way for the Longhorns, shooting two-under par to finish the day in a seven-way tie for seventh. Beck recovered from a bogey on the 10th hole with four birdies in the last five holes to finish as the only Texas player under par.

Junior Haley Mills had the most up-and-down day for Texas. Mills began the round with a bogey and two birdies, but bogeyed the eighth, ninth and 10th holes. She then birdied three-straight holes before bogeying two of the last three holes to
finish the day at one-over par and in a tie for 28th. 

Sophomore Sophia Schubert and senior Natalie Karcher each shot three-over par to end the round in a tie for 46th. Senior Tezira Abe bogeyed eight of the first 11 holes and double bogeyed the 14th hole to end the day seven-over par and in tie
for 79th.

Georgia currently holds a one-shot lead over Arizona at four-under par. Bianca Pagdanganan of Gonzaga currently leads the individual field at five-under par while Daniela Darquea of Miami trails in second by a shot. Four players are tied at three-under par for third.

The top six teams after Saturday’s final round and the top three individuals not on those teams will advance to the NCAA Championship later this month in Eugene, Oregon. 

The Longhorns will start the second round at 8 a.m. today and cap off regional with the final round on Saturday.