Update: Suspect arrested in connection to Sixth Street shooting

2016-07-31_6th_Street_Shooting_Joshua

Updated at 4:30 p.m. Wednesday, Aug. 3:

Authorities have arrested 24-year-old Endicott McCray in Atlanta, according to the Austin American-Statesman. McCray was apprehended by law enforcement officers with the U.S. Marshals Southeast Fugitive Task Force at a bus station in east Atlanta, per the Statesman.

McCray is suspected of killing a woman during a shooting on Sixth Street in downtown Austin on Sunday. The woman has been identified as Teqnika Marie Moultrie. Moultrie, 30, was downtown with her wife and friends when the shooting began, according to KXAN.

According to an arrest warrant affidavit obtained by the Statesman, officials believe McCray intended to shoot his brother-in-law during a dispute.

Updated at 11:45 p.m. Monday, Aug. 1:

APD has issued an outstanding murder warrant for Endicott McCray, a 24-year old black male. McCray is believed to be the gunman in the Sixth Street shooting that left one woman dead. The bond has been set at $2 million.

Sunday, July 31:

A gunman fired at a crowd on Sixth Street in downtown Austin around 2:15 a.m. on Sunday, leaving one woman in her 20s dead and four wounded, according to the Austin Police Department.

Three women were transported to University Medical Center Brackenridge to receive medical care for non-life threatening injuries. The fourth individual refused treatment, said EMS Commander Mike Benavides.

Austin Police Chief of Staff Brian Manley said police originally thought there was an active shooter situation after receiving reports shortly after the first incident began of an unrelated assault at a nearby parking garage on the 800 block of Trinity Street. During the second incident, shots were also fired but there were no gun-related injuries.

“At this point, we do not believe nor are we classifying this as an active shooter,” Manley said. “What we had was two separate incidents that occurred in close proximity to each other.”

APD is still looking for the gunman responsible for the shooting on Sixth Street. Manley said descriptions of the suspect were conflicting.

“We’ve got either a light-skinned black male or a Hispanic male in their 20s,” Manley said. “But again, clothing descriptions [are] all varied at [this] point.”

The suspect in the second incident was apprehended and received treatment for injuries he sustained from witnesses who intervened during the assault.

Chemistry senior Louie Gonzalez, who was around the corner from the first incident, said his group of friends was outside deciding how to get home when they heard the shots.

“I swear it looked like something out of a movie since so many people were running,” Gonzalez said.

Economics senior Daylen Dozier, who was with Gonzalez, said they walked toward the street to try to get a better look.

“Most of the people around us ran the opposite direction or hid in the doorways,” Dozier said.

Dozier said his friends also walked by the scene of the second incident.

“We walked by when all the cop cars pulled up though, thought it was just a fight,” Dozier tweeted“Everyone has to keep their head on a swivel these days and be aware of their surroundings, never know when stuff like this could happen."

The investigation is ongoing. APD has advised people to avoid the area and has asked those with footage of the incident or aftermath to forward their videos to the APD email.

•  
  • Note: The original headline for this article read "Two shootings in downtown Austin leave one dead, multiple wounded." This article has been updated throughout.