Offseason stories to catch up on

The offseason was a busy one for the Longhorns as the team enters its third year under head coach Charlie Strong. As the fall draws near, here are a few offseason changes to look out for.

Sterlin Gilbert becomes new offensive coordinator

Gilbert was hired from Tulsa in December, and brings offensive line coach Matt Mattox with him to re-invent the Texas offense. In his four seasons as a college coordinator, Gilbert’s up-tempo offenses have averaged almost 500 yards and 38 points per game. Gilbert and Mattox will look to improve a Longhorn offense that finished No. 8 in the Big 12 in total offense.

Shane Buechele shines at the spring game

Buechele wasted no time upon arriving at Texas. He was one of four early enrollees for the spring semester and took the field for Texas’ spring game on April 16. The game only lasted for one half due to weather conditions, but the freshman went 22-of-41 passes for 299 yards and two touchdowns. While Strong hasn’t committed to a starting quarterback yet, Buechele is in contention to play this fall.

Baylor recruits boost class to No. 7

Art Briles was fired as head coach of the Bears in the wake of a sexual assault scandal at Baylor. Five Baylor recruits decided to leave Waco and play for Texas after Briles’ firing. The Longhorns’ addition of four star wide receiver Devin Duvernay, his brother three-star athlete Donovan Duvernay, four-star offensive lineman JP Uriquidez and four-star offensive lineman Patrick Hudson boosted Texas’ recruiting class class to No. 7, according to the 247sports composite.

Longhorns fill gap at kicker

Former LSU kicker Trent Domingue decided to transfer to the Longhorns for a fifth season after his scholarship with the Tigers was not renewed. Domingue was a 2015 finalist for the Lou Groza award and made 13-of-17 field goals for LSU last season.