Beck eyes big goals for Texas golf in 2016

Julia Beck helped carry Texas to a National Championship appearance last season, and she’ll be just as important to the team this year.

The senior from Austin notched five top-20 finishes through the fall and spring seasons, including a team-best 12th place at the NCAA Bryan Regional. Texas earned seven top-five team finishes highlighted by a second place finish at the Big 12 Championships, where Beck tied for fifth.

Beck is the most experienced Longhorn on the roster, and as the fall season approaches, she’s ready to embrace a leadership role and help the team build on last season’s success.

“I’m going to work hard, do my best on and off the course and be a good leader for our freshmen,” Beck said. “We’ve had good competition already and we make each other better. It’s going to be exciting to see what we do.”

Beck graduated from Lake Travis High School and said playing for Texas was always her goal. She was the 2012 Texas Legends Junior Tour Player of the Year and has improved over her years with the Longhorns. She credits her development to the positive influence of her coaches and teammates.

In three years at Texas, Beck has improved her average score by almost three strokes — from 76.03 as a freshman to 73.69 in her junior season. She’s competed in every event Texas has attended during her career and puts team results above her individual accomplishments.

The Longhorns will kick off their season on Sept. 12 at the Minnesota Invite. Beck has high expectations for her final year at Texas and is excited to put in the work to meet them.

“Winning a national championship is definitely a big goal, but it is attainable,” Beck said. “With hard work and quality practice, anything is possible.”