Longhorns finish day one of Minnesota Invitational on top

womensgolfschubert
Mike McGraw

The 2016 women’s golf season is underway.

The Longhorns launched their fall campaign Monday at the Minnesota Invitational at the Minikahda Golf Club in Minneapolis. The team finished day one of the tournament at the top of the team leaderboard.

Texas leads the 11-team pack at 14-over par, with Louisville and Purdue sitting tied for second at one shot back. 

The Longhorns were paired with Minnesota and East Carolina for the first 36 holes. The field is highlighted by one ranked team, No. 20 Furman, who finished day one at 20-over par and tied for fifth place.  

Freshmen Dominique Galloway, Emilee Hoffman and Greta Völker made their debut with Texas, competing alongside senior Julia Beck and junior Sophia Schubert.

Völker led the team with eight birdies, shooting four in her last five holes. Völker’s hot hand helped her finish the day one-under par and tied for first. Hoffman currently sits at four-over par and is tied for sixth overall. Schubert and Beck both sit in the top 25 with seven-over par on the day.

Galloway had a rough day on the course, finishing 15-over par and shooting almost as many bogies as other scores. But Galloway and the Longhorns have one more day of competition to potentially move up the ranks.

Kentucky’s Anna Hack and Wisconsin’s Brooke Ferrell will enter day two tied with Völker for first.  

The Longhorns will hit the course again Tuesday for the tournament’s second day.