Big 12 Notebook: Cowboys look to bounce back after loss

2015-10-10_Texas_vs_OU_Rachel
Rachel Zein

Central Michigan upsets Oklahoma State

The wild Hail Mary-turned-lateral play that earned the Chippewas a win after time had expired never should have happened — the MAC issued a statement saying their officials called a play incorrectly. But it did, and Cowboys head coach Mike Gundy said he’s ready to put it behind him and focus on this weekend’s game against Pittsburgh. 

At 2–0, the Panthers are coming off a big win over rival Penn State. Pittsburgh’s defense is aggressive and will go after junior quarterback Mason Rudolph, who was sacked four times behind a shaky offensive line on Saturday. 

The Panthers’ run defense also ranks No. 11 in the FBS and will pose a big challenge for Oklahoma State, who recorded just 50 rushing yards against Central Michigan. Getting the offense going early will be key to getting back on track for the Cowboys.

Oklahoma prepares for marquee matchup with Ohio State

The No. 14 Sooners steamrolled Louisiana-Monroe last weekend. But they’re in for a tall task on Saturday. 

With the No. 3 Buckeyes heading to Norman, Oklahoma, the Sooners have a chance to earn the big win they couldn’t capture against No. 6 Houston on opening weekend. 

Oklahoma’s explosive offensive trio of junior quarterback Baker Mayfield, junior running back Samaje Perine and sophomore running back Joe Mixon carried the Sooners against ULM. And they will have to be even better against Ohio State, who ranks No. 3 in scoring defense. 

But the Sooner defense will be the key. If Oklahoma can contain junior quarterback J.T. Barrett and an explosive Buckeye offense that hasn’t yet been challenged, it can earn a signature victory.  

Texas Tech loses shootout

Junior quarterback Patrick Mahomes led Texas Tech’s offense to another high-scoring performance on Saturday. But it wasn’t enough against Arizona State.

The Red Raider defense was less than adequate, giving up 652 yards of offense en route to the team’s 68-55 loss. Arizona State’s junior running back Kalen Ballage scored seven rushing touchdowns on just 13 carries and had a touchdown reception to tie the NCAA record for most touchdowns scored by a single player in a game.

Texas Tech’s home game against Louisiana Tech on Saturday should give the Red Raiders a chance to focus on
improving defensively.

Baylor overcomes slow first half against SMU

The Bears and Mustangs went into halftime tied at six on Saturday at McLane Stadium. Baylor’s high-powered offense struggled to keep a drive alive in the first half and settled for a pair of field goals after a fumble and interception. 

But Baylor came out for the second half on a mission and scored on its opening drive to spark a 34-point half, securing a 40-13 victory. Senior quarterback Seth Russell finished with 304 total yards and scored a pair of passing touchdowns with a rushing score to boot.

The Bears travel to Houston for a Friday night matchup with Rice that should give the offense another chance to tune up before conference play begins.