Big 12 power rankings: week three

2015-09-26_Texas_Vs_OSU_Joshua

Texas (2-0), Last Week 2

The Longhorns convincingly handled UTEP, defeating the Miners 41-7. Freshman quarterback Shane Buechele turned in another impressive performance, throwing four touchdowns on 22 of 27 passing. Texas has been rolling at home, but starting this weekend, they will start a three game stretch playing outside of Austin. The Longhorns were 2-4 away from home last season.

Oklahoma (1-1), Last Week 3

The Sooners avenged their season opening loss against Houston with a 59-17 thrashing of Louisiana-Monroe. Oklahoma rushed for almost 300 yards, and junior quarterback Baker Mayfield threw three touchdowns. The team will now prepare for a huge showdown with No. 3 Ohio State this Saturday.

Baylor (2-0), Last Week 5

The Bears beat SMU 40-13, but senior quarterback Seth Russell struggled against the Mustang defense, throwing two interceptions and completing just above fifty percent of his passes. The defense more than compensated however, forcing four turnovers. 

West Virginia (2-0), Last Week 7

The Mountaineers are surprisingly only one of three undefeated teams left in the Big 12. The team was challenged by FCS Youngstown State, who stayed within a possession of West Virginia until midway through the third quarter.  After not throwing any touchdowns against Missouri in the season opener, senior quarterback Skyler Howard threw five against the Penguins.

Oklahoma State (1-1), Last Week 1

In a controversial finish, the Cowboys suffered their first loss of the season against Central Michigan, falling 30-27. Controversy aside, Oklahoma State did not play well on either side of the ball. The Cowboys were outgained by almost 100 yards, and converted on only one of 11 third downs.

Kansas State (0-1), Last Week 7

The Wildcats were off this past week. The team will have back to back home games against Florida Atlantic and Missouri State in the upcoming weeks, before traveling to West Virginia on Oct. 1. 

TCU (1-1), Last Week 3

TCU fell at the hands of Arkansas, 41-38 in double overtime. The Horned Frogs had a chance to beat the Razorbacks in regulation, but saw their last second 28-yard field goal blocked.  Through two weeks, the defense does not look improved from last year’s squad. 

Texas Tech (1-1), Last Week 6

Sun Devil running back Kalen Ballage torched the Red Raider defense with an FBS-record eight total touchdowns, as Texas Tech lost 68-55 against Arizona State. The Red Raider’s offense is among the best in the country, but their defense currently ranks among the worst.

Kansas (1-1), Last Week 9

After picking up their first win in over a year last week, the Jayhawks fell to Ohio 37-21.  Kanas was only able to muster 26 rushing yards, and surrendered almost 500 yards of total offense.

Iowa State (0-2), Last Week 10

The Cyclones were beat down by in-state rival Iowa on Saturday, 42-3. Junior quarterback Joel Lanning really struggled, completing less than fifty percent of his passes for only 86 yards.