Week 3 Big 12 Notebook

2015-09-26_Texas_Vs_OSU_Joshua
    • Officials Admit Wrong Call in Oklahoma State Game
    •  
    • Central Michigan stunned then No. 22 Oklahoma State in Stillwater when Chippewas QB Cooper Rush threw a Hail Mary with 0 seconds on the clock, which was caught, lateraled and ran in for the winning touchdown. This came after Cowboys quarterback Mason Rudolph threw the ball away with a 27-24 lead as time expired, drawing an intentional grounding call in the process. The referees ruled that, as it was fourth down, the penalty would allow Central Michigan one final play.
    •  
    • However, referee Tim O’Dey later ruled that “the extension should not have happened.” The Big 12 also suspended two replay officials who worked the game two weeks for not identifying the correct call. Despite the error, the result will stand and Oklahoma State’s record will fall to 1-1.
    •  
    • TCU, Texas Tech Fall in Wild Games
    •  
    • The No. 15 Horned Frogs faced off against old Southwest Conference foe Arkansas. After falling behind early, TCU gained the lead with 2 minutes left in regulation before Arkansas tied the game and blocked a Horned Frog field goal to send the game to overtime. After trading touchdowns in first overtime, Arkansas running back Austin Allen scored the winning touchdown in double overtime to end the game 41-38. TCU will kick off conference play against a winless Iowa State next week.
    •  
    • Texas Tech had a shootout against Arizona State in Tempe, trading touchdowns for several quarters before the Red Raiders fell behind in the third quarter. The Sun Devils won the game 68-55 to bring Texas Tech’s record to 1-1.  
    •  
    • Oklahoma State, and Kansas Face Tough Challenges
    •  
    • Oklahoma will take on No. 3 Ohio State in Norman Saturday in what might be their toughest game of the year. The Buckeyes haven’t allowed an offensive touchdown so far this season, and the game is expected to be a hard fought matchup between two top programs.
    •  
    • Meanwhile, Oklahoma State will face a rising Pittsburgh team, fresh off a win against rival Penn State. Kansas, for its part, will play Memphis, considered one of the best non-power conference teams last year. Both games will likely be close and challenging for the Big 12 teams.
    •  
    • West Virginia Stretches Win Streak
    •  
    • West Virginia survived a brief scare against Youngstown State after the game was tied at halftime, but pulled ahead to beat the Penguins 38-21. Mountaineers quarterback Skylar Howard threw a career-high five touchdown passes in the win to bring West Virginia to 2-0. They are only one of three Big 12 teams to have a 2-0 record after week two. They have a week off before hosting BYU.
    •  
    • Two Big 12 Teams Drop Out of AP Poll
    •  
    • TCU and Oklahoma State predictably dropped out of the poll after their losses, though both did still receive votes. Texas and Oklahoma remained at the same spots, 11 and 14 respectively, after their blowout wins. Baylor moved up two spots to 21 after beating SMU.