Big 12 Notebook: Baylor, West Virginia remain undefeated

2015-12-05_Texas_Vs_Baylor_Joshua

Baylor remains perfect through four weeks
After a thrilling victory against Oklahoma State on Saturday, No. 13 Baylor sits atop the Big 12 with a perfect 4-0 record. The Bears are one of two unbeaten teams left in the Big 12 — along with West Virginia — and are the highest-ranked Big 12 team.

Baylor and Oklahoma State were locked in a tight battle for most of the game, but the Bears ultimately employed a strong air attack to defeat the Cowboys. Senior quarterback Seth Russell connected with sophomore receiver Chris Platt for a 89-yard touchdown in the third quarter to lift the Bears to a 28-21 victory. Russell threw for 387 yards and four touchdowns.

Platt and sophomore receiver Ishmael Zamora proved to be reliable targets for Russell as they accounted for 11 receptions, 289 yards and four touchdowns.

The next two games on Baylor’s slate are Iowa State and Kansas, who sit at one-win apiece. The Bears have a solid chance at maintaining a perfect record before facing No. 22 Texas in Austin on Oct. 29.

West Virginia rises in conference race
West Virginia came away with a 35-32 victory over BYU on Saturday to finish its non-conference schedule 3-0. The Mountaineers have flown under the radar so far, but remain perfect as they enter Big 12 play this week.

Head coach Dana Holgorsen said he’s happy with the way his team started the season and that the team is “in a good place right now.”

Holgorsen and the Mountaineers look to continue the momentum this weekend as they host Kansas State in their first Big 12 matchup of the season.

TCU gets back on track, in top-25
After falling to Arkansas in a double-overtime thriller earlier in the season, TCU is back on track in the Big 12 race. The Horned Frogs wrapped up their non-conference schedule on Friday, beating SMU 33-3. The team jumped back in the AP top-25 at No. 21 after the win. 

TCU once again had a sluggish start on Friday, leading by only three points at halftime. But the team pulled away from the Mustangs in the second half behind quarterback Kenny Hill’s powerful arm. The Texas A&M transfer threw for 452 yards and two second-half touchdowns as the Horned Frogs returned to form — they started the season at No. 13 — and sealed the victory.

The Horned Frogs will host a well-rested Oklahoma team on Saturday. Coming off their bye, the Sooners hope for a much-needed win over a ranked team after a disappointing 1-2 start to the season.