Big 12 Notebook: Oklahoma climbs, Texas Tech shows depth at quarterback

Oklahoma climbs back into AP Top 25
It wasn’t pretty, but Oklahoma went into Fort Worth and came out with a much-needed victory against then-No. 21 TCU. The Sooners’ defense gave up 21 points in the first quarter, but held on to claim a 52-46 victory. Junior quarterback Baker Mayfield who was considered a Heisman contender prior to the season, returned to form after a lackluster start to the season. Mayfield accounted for four of the Sooners’ touchdowns, running two into the endzone and connecting with senior receiver Dede Westbrook for the other two. Oklahoma crawled back into the top-25 after dropping out earlier in the season following losses to Houston and Ohio State.   

Oklahoma is slated to face off against Texas this weekend in the Red River Showdown in Dallas. Both teams hold 2-2 records and are looking to salvage their seasons. 

Texas Tech wins at a cost
Texas Tech blew past Kansas with a 55-19 victory on Thursday, but the win came with a price. 

Junior quarterback Patrick Mahomes, the nation’s third-leading passer, injured his shoulder in the third quarter — he’s currently “day-to-day”, according to Texas Tech. Mahomes threw for 277 yards and four touchdowns before leaving the game.

Junior quarterback Nic Shimonek took over for Mahomes and proved to be up to the task. Shimonek mirrored Mahomes’ passing prowess, throwing for 271 yards and four touchdowns in the victory.

After the game, head coach Kliff Kingsbury said he would be “very comfortable” with playing Shimonek at quarterback if Mahomes is unavailable in the coming weeks. 

Texas Tech will travel to Manhattan, Kansas, this weekend to face Kansas State.    

Baylor sneaks by to remain undefeated
Through five weeks, No. 13 Baylor and No. 22 West Virginia remain the only perfect teams in the Big 12 after barely edging out their opponents on Saturday. 

Baylor hung on to the top spot in the Big 12 after sneaking out a 45-42 victory against Iowa State on the road. The Bears stormed back from a 14-point fourth quarter deficit and sealed the victory with a 19-yard field goal as the clock hit zero.

Senior running back Shock Linwood — the conference’s third-leading rusher — carried the ball for 237 yards and one touchdown. The Bears’ defense shutout the Cyclones in the final period to steal the win. 

Baylor has a bye week before facing a one-win Kansas team on Oct. 15.