Gilbert and Leonard talk receivers, Foreman talks Oklahoma

2016-10-01_Texas_vs_OSU_Juan
Juan Figueroa

Gilbert talks receiving options

Sophomore receiver John Burt has battled a hand injury in recent weeks that has prevented him from producing at a high level, according to offensive coordinator Sterlin Gilbert.

Gilbert said Burt, who still leads Texas in receiving with 191 yards (with 111 of those coming in week one against Notre Dame), suffered the injury in week two. Gilbert said the injury has progressively gotten better since then.

The first-year offensive coordinator also highlighted senior receiver Jake Oliver, who hadn’t recorded a reception until this season. The Dallas native now has 13 receptions for the Longhorns after winning the starting slot receiver job in training camp .

“He’s got those kind of ball skills, those kind of … understanding the space, where to be at, how to fit in space, how to run a route,” Gilbert said. “Those kinds of things are attributes we’re looking for in receivers that fit in this offense and our schemes.”

Leonard excited, confident heading to Dallas

Junior receiver Dorian Leonard said despite the back-to-back losses, the team has all the confidence it needs knowing it’s preparing to play in the Cotton Bowl against Texas’ biggest rival on the schedule. 

With the stadium split at the 50-yard line, half in burnt orange and the other half in crimson, Leonard said it’s an easy game to get excited to play in. He said running out of the tunnel is the best part of the game’s atmosphere. “It’s crazy because when you run out, you’re on the OU side,” Leonard said. “So you just hear ‘Boo! Boo!’ Then the further you get out, you start hearing your fans … It just gives you a lot of momentum going into the game.”

Foreman extra motivated to play Oklahoma

Junior running back D’Onta Foreman said he has extra motivation when playing Oklahoma every season. His twin brother, junior receiver Armanti, originally committed to Oklahoma, while Foreman didn’t receive an offer from the Sooners.

“I always had certain schools that offered him but didn’t offer me,” Foreman said. “But there’s just something about OU. I think it was the first offer he got. And it was just the way it happened.”  

Oklahoma might have regretted not offering Foreman a scholarship when he rattled off an 81-yard rush in last year’s matchup. The play set Texas up to take a 24-10 lead in an eventual 24-17 victory.

“We just went out there and played hard and we felt like we could win a game,” Foreman said. “I feel like this season is the same thing. We’re going to go out there and play hard, and I feel like we can get a win.”