Matchups: vs. Oklahoma

2016-10-01_Texas_vs_OSU_Juan
Juan Figueroa
  • Quarterback
  • Advantage: Oklahoma

Junior Baker Mayfield ranks second in the Big 12 in passing efficiency and poses a real scrambling threat. Mayfield will be looking to bounce back after struggling in last year’s game against Texas.

Freshman Shane Buechele has seen his ups and downs in recent weeks, but he’s still growing. For a kid like Buechele that grew up in a Sooner family, this week has an even bigger meaning.

• Running Back
  • Advantage: Oklahoma

The Sooners feature two explosive backs in junior Samaje Perine and sophomore Joe Mixon. Both combined to rush for 203 yards and three touchdowns last week against TCU.

Junior D’Onta Foreman and sophomore Chris Warren III each suffered injuries last week. Warren is out indefinitely, but Foreman will play Saturday. Freshman Kyle Porter could see a significant workload this week.

• Wide Receiver
  • Advantage: Tie

The Longhorns took hardly any deep shots last week. Sophomore stalwarts John Burt and Jerrod Heard will need to be much more involved on Saturday.

Senior Dede Westbrook and sophomore Mark Andrews are Mayfield’s favorite receiving targets. The two have combined for 529 yards and six touchdowns this season.

• Offensive Line
  • Advantage: Texas

The Texas offensive line has been very consistent thus far. The Longhorns are averaging 261 yards per game on the ground and have only given up six sacks.

Oklahoma will be looking to avenge last year’s performance against Texas when the offensive line gave up six sacks. This season, the Sooners still remain vulnerable in that department.

• Defensive Line
  • Advantage: Oklahoma

The Sooners gave up only 65 yards on the ground last week against TCU. Oklahoma’s defensive line will get a much tougher test against Texas’ running game and offensive line this week.

Missed tackles doomed the Texas defense from the get-go last week. The Longhorns’ pass rush will have to be sharp like it was in last year’s game to contain Baker Mayfield.

• Linebacker
  • Advantage: Oklahoma

Junior Ogbonnia Okoronkwo leads the Sooners on defense and is tied for first in the Big 12 in sacks. Senior Jordan Evans is as consistent as they come, as he ranks third in the Big 12 in tackles.

Sophomore Malik Jefferson missed multiple point-blank tackles last week, as did so many other of his Longhorn teammates. Texas will have to tackle much better if it hopes to slow down this Oklahoma offense.

• Defensive Back
  • Advantage: Tie

The Texas secondary was gashed by the Cowboys. The unit is hurting badly, as Texas ranks eighth in the Big 12 in pass defense and last in pass defense efficiency. 

Oklahoma is equally bad in its secondary. The Sooners rank ninth in the Big 12 in pass defense and ninth in pass defense efficiency. Expect a lot of open receivers for both teams on Saturday.

• Special Teams
  • Advantage: Oklahoma

Sophomore Austin Seibert is 20 for 20 on extra-point kicks this season, which alone should be enough to give the Sooners the advantage here. Sophomore Joe Mixon also leads the Big 12 in kick return average.

Texas had three extra points blocked last week, with one being returned for two points. Senior kicker Trent Domingue missed another field goal, and he’s now missed three of his last five.