Live Blog: Texas takes on No. 8 Baylor

Stephanie Tacy

Final update (8:46 p.m.):

Texas came out firing in the second half. D’Onta Foreman rattled off a 40-yard carry on Texas’ first drive of the half, but the Longhorns settled for a field goal to extend their lead to 26-21 early in the second quarter.

Baylor responded by taking its first lead of the game since it led 7–0 early in the first quarter. Sophomore running back Terence Williams lit the Longhorns up for multiple gashes of 20-plus yards on the drive, and he finished it off with a 2-yard touchdown to put Baylor ahead 28–26.

Baylor would come close multiple times in the second half, but each time the Texas defense did enough to keep the Bears out of the endzone for the rest of the game.

But the Longhorns sputtered for much of the second half, struggling to find the end zone themselves. Baylor added a couple of field goals to its lead, gaining a 34-26 advantage with 8:56 left in the game.

Texas responded in a hurry  less than two minutes later. Buechele connected with sophomore receiver Lorenzo Joe down the middle of the field, and Joe took it 61 yards to the Baylor 13. Texas scored three players later on a screen to tight end Andrew Beck.

Head coach Charlie Strong sent out the 18-Wheeler for the two-point conversion, but Baylor sniffed it out and held senior quarterback Tyrone Swoopes back from reaching the endzone. Texas still trailed by two with time running out.

Baylor ripped off multiple first downs on its ensuing drive, executing a textbook drive to take time off the clock. But the Texas defense ultimately stepped up again, forcing Baylor to punt with 3:10 left.

Buechele and the Longhorns took advantage. He found Armanti Foreman for a 40-yard gain down the sideline, putting Texas in game-winning field goal territory. Senior kicker Trent Domingue nailed the 39-yarder with 46 seconds left.

Baylor, having minimal time to get into game-winning field goal range for itself, failed to do so. Texas secured its second victory over an AP Top-25 opponent this season.

Halftime update (4:48 p.m.): The Longhorns didn’t win the coin toss this week, but head coach Charlie Strong’s defense jogged onto the field first anyway when Baylor elected to receive.

It didn’t take long for the Bears to strike first, going 75 yards on six plays. Senior quarterback Seth Russell scored on a 50-yard rushing touchdown.

The Longhorns fired right back. Freshman quarterback Shane Buechele put the ball on a rope to junior receiver Armanti Foreman in the endzone for a 40-yard touchdown pass that evened the score at seven apiece.

Junior running back D’Onta Foreman totaled 35 yards on six carries on the Longhorns’ opening drive of the game.

Sophomore cornerback Kris Boyd batted Russell’s first pass of the ensuing drive into the air, and sophomore defensive back P.J. Locke came down with an interception. Foreman scored a 37-yard rushing touchdown on Texas’ first play following the takeaway.

The major momentum swing put Texas ahead 14-7 after falling behind by a touchdown early. But the Longhorns’ good fortune didn’t last long.

Baylor rattled off another long but quick touchdown drive, cruising 75 yards in 1:39 to tie the game at 14-all just over five minutes into the matchup.

The fireworks ceased firing for the rest of the first quarter as both teams were held scoreless. Texas forced a couple of Baylor punts while Buechele tossed an interception.

The next score wouldn’t come again until midway through the second quarter. Buechele connected with A. Foreman on a 40-yard pass inside the Baylor 10-yard line. But Foreman fumbled, and Baylor jumped on it at its own 2-yard line.

The Longhorns averted apparent disaster on Baylor’s first play after the turnover. The Bears were flagged for holding in the end zone, eliciting a penalty and a safety which gave Texas a 16–14 lead.

Texas took full advantage of the miscue on its ensuing drive. Buechele led the Longhorns down the field with a 40-yard completion to freshman receiver Collin Johnson. D. Foreman punctuated the drive with a nine-yard touchdown, giving Texas a 23-14 advantage.

Baylor responded with a touchdown just before the half to make it a one possession game again. Junior receiver KD Cannon came down with the touchdown grab with nine seconds left in the half. Both teams topped 300 yards of offense in the wild, high-scoring first thirty minutes of action.

-Tyler Horka

Original story: The Longhorns (3–4) look to stay perfect at home after falling to Kansas State on the road last weekend. They take on No. 8 Baylor (6–0), who hopes to make a push for the College Football Playoff.

Texas must win three of its final five games to qualify for a bowl game — the team missed bowl season last year. Head coach Charlie Strong can jumpstart the team's push for an above .500 record with a signature win over a top-10 team on Saturday. 

Stay tuned here and on Twitter at @TexanSports for live updates from Darrell K Royal – Texas Memorial Stadium.