Soccer ends season with loss to TCU

2016-09-30_Soccer_Texas_vs_OKState_Joshua

Texas’ season came to an end Friday night despite scoring two first-half goals.

The Longhorns (8–9– 1, 1–6–1 Big 12) knew they could solidify a spot in the Big 12 tournament with a win, but also knew their season would come to an end with a loss to the Horned Frogs (10– 5–2, 2–5–1 Big 12). Texas and TCU both had a lot on the line — and both teams played like it.

TCU got on the board in the first five minutes. The Longhorns turned the ball over on the defensive end and gave the Horned Frogs a 2-on-1 break. TCU sophomore midfielder Karitas Tomasdottir passed it to junior forward Emma Heckendorn, who sent the ball into the back of the net, giving TCU an early 1-0 lead.

Texas responded four minutes later. Senior midfielder Julia Dyche sent the ball into the box, which ended up landing right in front of sopho- more defender Chelsea Surpris. Surpris didn’t hesitate and fired a shot from 25 yards out to tie the game at 1-1.

Texas continued the momentum and scored again in the 12th minute. A long throw-in bounced around the six-yard box, and junior midfielder Morgan Murphy managed to slide the ball into the left edge of the goal to give the Longhorns a 2-1 lead.

But TCU found the net right before the half, sending the match to 2-2 going into halftime.

The second half started at a slower pace, but TCU scored in the 63rd minute. TCU junior forward Allison Ganter headed it in from four yards out, giving the Horned Frogs a 3-2 lead.

Texas had several good looks to even the match but nothing to show for it. TCU ran out the clock and handed Texas a 3-2 loss to end the season.

After Texas Tech defeated Oklahoma Friday night, the Longhorns fell to ninth in the conference — one spot back from qualifying for the Big 12 tournament. Texas’ loss marks just the second time the team has finished the season below .500 since 1999.