Longhorns look to build off of upset win

2016-10-29_Longhorns_vs
Daulton Venglar

Head coach Charlie Strong and several players took the podium on Monday following Texas’ 35-34 victory over No. 13 Baylor. The Longhorns discussed the team’s win and upcoming matchup with Texas Tech. 

Here are some takeaways from Monday’s availability.

Texas must contain Mahomes
The Longhorns will face another top-flight offense when they head west to Lubbock, squaring off against the nation’s No. 2 attack.

Red Raiders quarterback Patrick Mahomes has shredded opposing defenses en route to over 3,500 yards through eight games — first in the nation. His total is nearly 600 yards more than the next leading passer, Washington State’s Luke Falk. 

“[Mahomes] is just an athlete,” senior defensive tackle Paul Boyette Jr. said. “He can make tough throws on the run, and he’s a real tough opponent. We can’t really stop him, but we have to try to slow
him down.”

But despite his gaudy numbers, Strong and the Longhorns said they have found some ways to slow down Mahomes. TCU held the junior in check last week, primarily by containing him in the pocket. Strong said Texas will employ a similar strategy on Saturday. 

“A lot of times [Mahomes] scrambles around and guys lose their coverage,” Strong said. “We’ve got to be smart and keep the quarterback contained.”

Longhorns look to end road woes
There have been two distinct Texas teams this year. The one that plays at home brings energy and enthusiasm, minimizes mistakes and capitalizes off turnovers. But when the Longhorns head on the road, they look flat and overmatched. Texas is currently 0–4 on the road, losing by an average margin of over eight points a game. 

“We just have to be mentally tough when we go on the road,” senior wide receiver Jacorey Warrick said. “For whatever reason, we haven’t provided enough energy from within.”

The Longhorns face arguably their toughest road atmosphere yet on Saturday while battling the Red Raiders and their rowdy fans. Although Tech fans are known for flinging frozen tortillas at opposing players, games in Lubbock are no picnic. “I got hit in the head with a battery my sophomore years and a tortilla a few times,” Boyette said. “We know what [the crowd] will be like going in, we just can’t pay attention to it.”