Camp like a pro and enjoy music all night with these Sound on Sound Fest tips

1101_AudreyMcNay_Illo003
Audrey McNay

Sound On Sound Festival will be held for the first year on the Texas Renaissance Fair grounds at Sherwood Forest. The festival includes a variety of entertainment options: indie, punk, hip hop, metal and dance music, as well as comedy acts and live panel discussions. Although many in Austin may be veteran festival-goers, SOS also offers a unique camping experience and additional late night events. The Daily Texan has some suggestions that will help attendees maximize their festival experience.

Camping
With the purchase of a camping pass, festival-goers can camp out on festival grounds over the weekend. If you aren’t keen on bringing your own tent, those with the VIP camping pass can choose between a two cot rental, a four cot rental or a queen rental, all of which include a tarp floor, bedding and a battery-powered lantern. One of the main attractions for camping is the added entertainment options such as SOS Knights Comedy Club, Disco Dungeon Outdoor Dance Club, exclusive Late Knights live sets and nightly film screenings. 

Although several amenities such as a 24-hour diner and a general store are a part of the experience, campers shouldn’t forget to pack the essentials: flashlights, coolers (under 30 in.) filled with snacks, reusable eating utensils, sunscreen, towels and toiletries. If campers are bringing their own tent equipment, SOS suggests appropriately sized tents, shade and weather covers, a tent lock to keep valuables safe and sleeping amenities. Water will be provided to wash dishes and ice will be avaialble for coolers. Check-in starts on Friday at 8 a.m. and checkout ends on Monday at 12 p.m. 

Will Call 
To save time when you get to the festival, pick up your wristbands beforehand. Today's the last day to pick up tickets at the Will Call station, so head to Will Call at Volcom Garden today 5–9 p.m. It will feature refreshments from Deep Eddy Vodka, Karbach, Big Bend and Austin Eastciders, and as you sip your beverage, enjoy an “Anthony Lister Art Experience,” presented by Volcom Stone. As part of his three-stop global tour, Lister, a modern street impressionist, will exhibit new pieces of work created specifically for each event.  

Transportation 
Since the festival is a little out of the way, attendees should take advantage of one of the shuttles organized by the festival. The pick-up and drop-off station is located at the Mohawk, with multiple shuttles that run throughout the weekend. With the purchase of a three-day ticket, the shuttle pass is $20 for all three days or $10 each day. A weekend parking pass is $30 or $15 each day, but if you plan on camping, parking is included and you’ll be able to park next to your campsite. SOS has warned drivers that certain GPS systems will take festivalgoers to the wrong location, so they advise examining the map provided on their website.

Food
SOS welcomes a multitude of vendors, ranging from Frank’s sausages to burritos from Vegan Yacht. If you’re not the adventurous type, stick to classics like Austin Pizza and if you’re aiming for lighter fare, stop by Juiceland. Campers have the option of stopping by the 24-hour diner hosted by Frank, but keep in mind that these items will not be allowed into the general festival area. 

Local Late Knights
Festival-goers can extend the fun by attending “Local Late Knights” which are free with your SOS wristband. These additional sets take place in Austin throughout Thursday night, Friday after 10 p.m. and after 12 a.m. on Saturday and Sunday. Thursday is the kickoff event for “Late Knights,” and among other locations, The University of Texas MSTC and Campus Watch are presenting Empress of, Hunny and Black Books.