Matchups: vs. Texas Tech

2016-10-29_Longhorns_vs
Gabriel Lopez
  • Quarterback
  • Advantage: Texas Tech

Junior Patrick Mahomes II is your quintessential gunslinger who knows how to stuff a stat sheet. Mahomes leads the Big 12 in total offense and passing this year by a large margin.

Freshman Shane Buechele didn’t throw it a ton against Baylor last week, but when he did, he made it count. Buechele completed multiple key deep passes and a crucial late touchdown pass.

• Running Back
  • Advantage: Texas

Junior D’Onta Foreman rushed for a career-high 250 yards against Baylor. Foreman has a nation-leading nine consecutive games of at least 100 yards rushing, and he is Texas’ first 1,000-yard rusher since 2007.

The Red Raiders rarely run the ball, but they did so successfully last week against TCU. Freshman Da’Leon Ward rushed for a respectable 98 yards on 23 carries to balance out Mahomes’ passing.

• Wide Receiver
  • Advantage: Tie

Junior Armanti Foreman had one of the best games of his career last week. He finished with 142 yards and a touchdown, and made a crucial grab down the sideline that set up the game-winning field goal.

Sophomore Jonathan Giles has been one of the most productive receivers in the Big 12 this year. Giles ranks second in the Big 12 in receiving yards and receptions and has 11 touchdowns.

• Offensive Line
  • Advantage: Texas

Sophomore left guard Patrick Vahe was benched in favor of sophomore Jake McMillon in an interesting move last week. The Texas offensive line was able to open up some big holes for D’Onta Foreman to run through against Baylor.

Texas Tech’s offensive line struggled to protect Patrick Mahomes II last week, giving up four sacks. The Red Raiders rank eighth in the Big 12 in sacks allowed.

• Defensive Line
  • Advantage: Texas

Texas had four different defensive linemen register a sack against Baylor. But the Longhorns were also pummeled up front when defending the run, giving up 398 yards on the ground.

Texas Tech’s defensive line could be in for a long day against the Longhorns’ rushing attack. The Red Raiders rank ninth in the Big 12 in rush defense. Senior end Kris Williams has four sacks this season.

• Linebacker
  • Advantage: Texas

Initially benched to begin the Baylor game, sophomore Malik Jefferson turned in one his best performances. Jefferson finished the game with 9 total tackles, including two sacks.

Red Raider senior Malik Jenkins had a big game against TCU, finishing with 14 total tackles, 10 of them solo. Texas Tech’s linebackers will be put to the test as D’Onta Foreman is sure to get to the second level against a weak defensive line.

• Defensive Back
  • Advantage: Texas 

Sophomore P.J. Locke III made some big plays in the secondary last week and intercepted a pass. Texas defensive backs will have their hands full against Texas Tech, which possesses one of the best passing offenses in the nation.

Freshman Douglas Coleman made a key play with a pick off TCU quarterback Kenny Hill last week. Nevertheless, Texas Tech ranks ninth in the Big 12 in  pass defense, giving up 304.6 yards per game through the air.

• Special Teams
  • Advantage: Tie

Senior kicker Trent Domingue nailed a game-winning 39-yard field goal with 46 seconds left against Baylor, but despite that success, Texas has yet to record a kickoff or punt return touchdown this season.

Like Texas, Texas Tech has not done much in its return game this season. Reliable sophomore kicker Clayton Hatfield has converted eight of nine field goal attempts.