Big 12 Notebook: Baylor drops second straight game

2016-10-01_Texas_vs_OSU_Juan
Juan Figueroa

Baylor struggles again
Two weeks ago, Baylor was undefeated and appeared to be a contender to win the Big 12. Since then, however, the Bears have lost two straight and shown major flaws, which were on full display on Saturday.

The team was drubbed, 62-22, at the hands of TCU. Baylor’s defense allowed a season-high 688 yards and was unable to find an answer for the Horned Frogs’ junior running back Kyle Hicks. Hicks gashed the Bears for 192 rushing yards and five touchdowns. 

Offensively, the team looked out of sync and scored its fewest amount of points this season. Senior quarterback Seth Russell completed only 22 of 42 passes and threw a costly pick-six in the first half.

Despite the loss, interim head coach Jim Grobe believes this might be the wake-up call the team needs.

“I think that once you have a couple tough losses like we have had the last two times out, I think it may be a little bit easier to just start playing football,” Grobe said.

Baylor takes on No. 9 Oklahoma this weekend. 

Timely running saves Cowboys
Oklahoma State’s Mason Rudolph threw for 457 yards in the Cowboys’ 43-37 win over Kansas State. But on Oklahoma State’s 80-yard, game-winning touchdown drive late in the fourth quarter, it was the team’s ground game that delivered.

On the drive, three ball carriers combined for 63 yards and took advantage of the Wildcats’ defense. Senior running back Chris Carson capped off the drive with a nifty 17-yard touchdown run.

The Cowboys will look to capture their sixth straight victory this weekend against Texas Tech and stay in the thick of the Big 12 title race.

Cyclones fall short
Iowa State has been more competitive this year than their 1-8 record may indicate. Of their six conference losses, three have come by a one-possession deficit. 

The Cyclones fell 34-24 this weekend against the conference-leading Sooners, but showed resiliency in a second-half comeback effort. The team trailed by 14 points going into the fourth quarter, but was able to cut things to seven with 13 minutes to play.

However, like Iowa State’s other close losses, the team was unable to make plays down the stretch. After pulling within seven, the defense allowed a six-minute Sooner field goal drive that effectively ended the game.

Iowa State continues the search for their first conference win this weekend against Kansas, who is also winless in Big 12 play.