Big 12 Notebook: Baylor loses Russell, race for Big 12 title heats up

2016-11-12_Texas_vs_WVU_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

Baylor loses Russell to season-ending injury 

The No. 8 Sooners took care of business Saturday as they defeated Baylor, 45-24, and handed the Bears their third-straight loss. 

After starting the season 6–0, the Bears have lost their footing — and their starting quarterback. Senior Seth Russell went down in the third quarter on Saturday and had to be carted off the field. Baylor announced on Sunday that Russell fractured his left ankle and will undergo season-ending surgery.

Oklahoma quarterback Baker Mayfield threw for 300 yards and accounted for three touchdowns for the Sooners. Oklahoma has won seven straight games and remains undefeated in the conference, but its toughest tasks have yet to come. 

The Sooners head to Morgantown this weekend to face No. 10 West Virginia before wrapping up their season Dec. 3 against No. 13 Oklahoma State — two games that hold major implications in the conference title.

Oklahoma State escapes Texas Tech

The Red Raiders looked as if they were about to complete a fourth-quarter comeback Saturday in Stillwater, Oklahoma. But a missed extra point in the final minutes gave No. 13 Oklahoma State a sigh of relief and a 45-44 victory. 

Texas Tech running back Quinton White scored a 1-yard touchdown with 1:39 left to set up the potential game-tying extra point. But the point never came as the kick veered right, handing Oklahoma State the win.

Oklahoma State quarterback Mason Rudolph threw for 395 yards on 20-28 passing and accounted for three touchdowns. The Cowboys now control their own destiny in hopes of winning a Big 12 championship. However, they need to beat TCU this weekend and No. 8 Oklahoma on Dec. 3 in the regular-season finale. 

West Virginia looks to claim Big 12 title

The Big 12 title race continues to heat up as the conference’s top teams all won their respective contests this week. 

West Virginia traveled to Austin and handed Texas its first home loss of the season. It was a close game, but the Mountaineers squeezed out a 24-20 victory over the Longhorns. Quarterback Skyler Howard threw three interceptions on the day, but his defense bailed him out as the Mountaineers stopped Texas quarterback Shane Buechele’s last-chance toss as time expired.

West Virginia has three games left on its schedule, including a pivotal game this weekend against the current leader of the Big 12 in Oklahoma. If the Mountaineers can hold their ground at home and walk away with a win over the Sooners, their position in the conference and College Football Playoff rankings should rise.