Live Blog: Longhorns look to become bowl-eligible against Kansas

2016-11-05_UT_vs_Tech_Daulton
Daulton Venglar

Final update (6:28 p.m.): Texas forced a turnover of its own on the first possession of the second half. Linebacker Edwin Freeman picked off Kansas’ pass attempt on third down, giving the Longhorns possession at the Jayhawk 38-yard line.

Running back D’Onta Foreman made sure the turnover wouldn’t go to waste. The junior rumbled into the endzone from two yards out, giving the Longhorns a 14-10 lead early in the third quarter.

Texas’ defense shut down the Jayhawk attack in the third quarter, holding the Jayhawks scoreless. Kansas quarterback Stanley Carter failed to generate any vertical passing game going just 12-26 for 133 yards through three quarters.

Sophomore safety DeShon Elliott gave the Longhorns their second turnover of the day, recovering a fumble inside Jayhawk territory to close the third frame. Texas sat at the Kansas 33-yard line as the 4th quarter began.

Foreman capitalized on the fumble recovery, walking into the endzone from one yard out. With just under 14 minutes to go in the fourth quarter, Texas led 14-10.

Texas relied on Foreman throughout the second half. The Texas City product gave the Longhorns a 21-10 lead with just under 14 minutes to go in the game on a one-yard touchdown run. He ended the drive with 38 carries, another workhorse day for the Heisman contender

However, Kansas would refuse to go away quietly. The Jayhawks cut the Longhorn lead to 21-18 midway through the 4th quarter, scoring after an 80-yard drive via a run from freshman Khalil Herbert.

Kansas got the ball back following a Foreman fumble with 3:53 to play, but could not score. The Jayhawks ceded possession to the Longhorns at their own 37-yard line.

The Jayhawks got the ball back once more with under a minute to play, driving deep into Texas territory. Their drive stalled with less than 15 seconds to play, but Kansas still kicked a 36-yard field goal to tie the game at 21-21 heading into overtime.

Overtime didn’t fare any better for Texas. Buechele threw an interception on the second play of overtime, and Kansas ended the game with a 25-yard field goal.

Saturday’s loss sent Texas to 5–6, 3–5 Big 12. And for the second consecutive season, the Longhorns are in significant danger of missing a bowl game.

Halftime update (4:11 p.m.): Texas didn’t take much time getting on the board against Kansas, scoring on the game’s first play from scrimmage. Freshman quarterback Shane Buechele found receiver Jacorey Warrick from 75-yards out, giving the Longhorns a 7-0 lead.

The Longhorns’ score was followed by a slew of punts. Neither team was able to generate any semblance of offensive momentum, as both Texas and Kansas’ punters saw significant action. With just over three minutes to play in the first quarter, Texas led by a touchdown.

Senior Tyrone Swoopes had to take over at quarterback for a series midway through the second quarter after Buechele went out with an injury. Things didn’t go so well for Swoopes in his short stint as the starter, getting stripped of the ball on third down. The fumble ceded possession to Kansas, who took over at the Longhorn 33-yard line.

Texas’ offense continued its ineptitude throughout the second quarter, throwing interceptions on back to back possessions. The first one didn’t cost the Longhorns any points, but the second one certainly did. Buechele’s second pick was taken back for a touchdown, tying the game at 7-7.

The burnt orange offense continued to sputter on its next possession as junior running back D’Onta Foreman fumbled in Longhorn territory. Kansas capitalized on the turnover, kicking a field goal to take a 10-7 lead with under three minutes to play in the second quarter.

Neither team would score any more points as the half drove to a close. Heading to the locker room in Lawrence, the Longhorns trailed Kansas 10-7.
-Michael Shapiro 

Original story: The Longhorns (5–5, 3–4 Big 12) head to Lawrence, Kansas today to take on the 1–9 Jayhawks. Texas will become bowl eligible with a win for the second time in head coach Charlie Strong's tenure in Austin. Kickoff is set for 2:30. 

Follow us here or on Twitter at @TexanSports for live updates.