Texas announces Tom Herman as new head football coach

AP_16312797038491
AP Photo/ John Minchillo

Texas didn’t waste any time in the search for former head coach Charlie Strong’s replacement.

The program announced the hiring of Houston’s Tom Herman as its new head coach Saturday afternoon, just hours after Strong’s firing was made official.

"I’m thrilled to have Tom Herman joining us as our head football coach,” athletic director Mike Perrin said in a statement. “I am impressed with his insights on college sports, football and academic success, and his philosophy of developing the student-athlete into the complete person. He clearly has a passion and respect for the game of football, and also, a passion for teaching young men the game and the life lessons that come with that.”

Herman is 22–4 in two years as the Cougars’ head coach. He led the team to a one-loss season and a Peach Bowl victory over Florida State in his first year at the helm. Houston also had marquee wins over No. 8 Oklahoma and then-No. 5 Louisville en route to a 9–3 campaign this season.

A Cincinnati native, Herman worked as a graduate assistant at Texas from 1999–2000.  He went on to win a National Championship in 2015 as offensive coordinator at Ohio State under head coach Urban Meyer.

“The opportunity to come back to Texas is a dream come true for me and my family,” Herman said.  “I can’t thank President [Gregory] Fenves and Mike Perrin enough for providing me with this incredible opportunity. Longhorn football has been – and always will be – a national power, winning and playing for national championships with great pride and passion, supported by an unbelievable fan base.”

Herman will become the Longhorns’ third head coach in four years. Strong finished 16–21 in three seasons, the worst record by winning percentage in school history.

Texas will introduce Herman as its head coach on Sunday.