30: Photo editor’s three years at Texan felt like lifetime

2016-11_30_Daulton_Venglar_Joshua

Editor’s note: A 30 column is a chance for departing permanent staff to say farewell and reflect on their time spent in The Daily Texan basement office. The term comes from the typesetting mark (—30—) to denote the end of a line. 

You know that feeling you get when you're at a party at someone else's place and it’s starting to die down, and you feel like you should probably leave before it gets too awkward, but you stay anyway? Yep.  

It feels like my time at the Texan has really flown by, even though it has been three years. I could not have gotten where I am today if it weren't for my previous editors Charlie, Shelby, Lauren and Amy.

Thanks for hiring me, Charlie. If had gotten rejected twice, I probably would have given up.

Amy, you were the best, and last summer wouldn't have been the same without you. Also thank you for letting me vent my frustrations to you through text or in your office at virtually any hour.  

Danielle, Aaron and Bryce, the pioneers of office ping pong: Summer 2015 would not have been as fun if y'all weren't in the basement every day.

My fall 2015 photo staff: Thank you for putting up with me for the entire semester, especially Stephanie. Special thanks to Pu for helping me keep my sanity that semester.

My summer 2016 staff: Y'all made this summer a breeze and I hope y'all had as much fun as I did.

Zoe and Cano: Thank you for introducing me to Catan, and thanks for being the absolute worst 🙂 I don't know how I could have made it through this last semester without y'all.

Daniel and Lillian: Thanks for putting up with me every Thursday for Double Coverage.

Peter: Where do I begin? Thank you for all that you do even though you don't really do that much. I especially want to thank you for being my informal ping pong coach. The 1985 Taiwanese national team is really missing out.

To everyone, thank you for making the Texan feel like a second home. I don't know what I would have done if I hadn't stumbled across the Texan as an undeclared sophomore. I've made the best friends, and I'm truly going to miss walking down the stairs to the basement every day.

—30—