No. 16 Texas dominates Texas Tech in conference opener

2016-11-16_Texas_vs_Houston_Baptist_Joshua

No. 16 Texas opened conference play Thursday with a 67-47 win over Texas Tech at the Frank Erwin Center.

Three Longhorns recorded double-digit points in the victory as they held their opponent to under-50 points for the third consecutive game.

Junior guard Brooke McCarty, the Longhorns’ leading scorer, led Texas with 16 points and four rebounds. Freshman forward Joyner Holmes recorded her second double-double of the season in the first Big 12 game of her career. Holmes posted 10 points and 10 boards in 28 minutes of play.

Senior center Kelsey Lang and junior guard Ariel Atkins came up just short of double-double performances. Lang put up eight points and tied her career high of 13 rebounds while Atkins posted nine points, eight rebounds and three steals.

Texas continued its dominance on the boards as it outrebounded the Red Raiders 49-28. Three Longhorns recorded 8 or more rebounds in the matchup.

The Longhorns ran away with a 16-4 lead to start the game and never let it go throughout the matchup.   

Texas Tech was led by sophomore guard Recee Caldwell, who posted a game-high 24 points and was the only Red Raider to score in double figures. Caldwell connected four times from beyond the arc and junior guard Larryn Brooks added three more for the Red Raiders. Despite shooting only 33.9 percent from the field, Texas Tech out-hustled the Longhorns from the three-point line, making seven from deep to Texas’ two.

The win marks Texas’ third consecutive conference-opening win. After a tough non-conference schedule that included four losses to top-15 opponents, the Longhorns are riding a five-game winning streak.

Up next, Texas will hit the road to take on Iowa State in Ames, Iowa, on New Year’s Day.