Austin mayor joins coalition in urging Obama administration to accept further protections for undocumented immigrants

2016-10-19_Student_Government_Jenan
Jenan Taha

On Thursday, Mayor Steve Adler joined 31 members of Cities for Action, a coalition of mayors and county leaders, in thanking President Barack Obama for his support for immigrant families and urging him to further this support with certain protections for undocumented immigrants before he leaves office.

In the letter, the members asked President Obama to accept early Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals, or DACA, renewal applications and to add additional privacy protections for DACA recipients so “they will not be punished as a result of coming out of the shadows.” The organization also asked the Obama administration to review the designations for current Temporary Protected Status, or TPS, in order to protect immigrants who cannot safely stay in their home countries. For both DACA and TPS, Cities for Action requested that the administration commit to timely processing for immigrants who apply.

Cities for Action members also thanked the Obama administration for considering their concerns with the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System, or NSEERS, which required special registration from immigrants arriving from 25 Muslim-majority countries. President Obama ended NSEERS, an action that the organization commended him for.

“As Mayor of Austin — as well as a former national board member of the Anti-Defamation League — I am proud that America cannot and will not use its power to persecute people based on their religion,” Adler said in the letter. “In fact, I always thought that truth was self-evident.”