Texas falls to Iowa State in Ames, 70-79

roach_iowast_Rachel
Rachel Zein

The Longhorns were unable to overcome their mistakes Saturday night, falling to Iowa State 79-70 in Ames, Iowa. Texas gave the ball away a season-high 19 times.

The Longhorns jumped out to a quick 4-0 lead a minute into the game, and the contest remained tight throughout much of the first half. But the Cyclones hit a few timely threes as the frame winded down and established a 40-31 lead going into halftime.

Iowa State started the second half strong and increased its lead to 49-35 with 16:49 left in the contest. Texas was resilient and slowly chipped away at its deficit.

With under four minutes remaining, the Burnt Orange pulled to within three points, trailing 68-65. But that proved to be as close as the team would come. The Cyclones closed the game on a decisive 11–5 run, ending the Longhorns' comeback bid.

The Longhorns’ carelessness with the ball spoiled a rare hot-shooting night for the team. Texas shot 53 percent from the field and a scorching 50 percent from deep. But Iowa State ended the game with 14 more shot attempts than Texas, which proved to be the difference.

The Cyclones shot at a 49 percent shooting clip and moved the ball well all night. The team dished out 19 assists, compared to only 11 turnovers.

Deonte Burton, Iowa State senior guard,  was a big reason for the Cyclone's offensive success. Burton erupted for 27 points on 12–17 shooting and gave the Longhorns fits all night.

Four players scored in double-figures for Texas. Sophomore guard Kerwin Roach had one of his best nights of the season, draining all four of his three point attempts and finishing with 21 points. Sophomore guard Tevin Mack pitched in 15, freshman guard Andrew Jones scored 14 and freshman forward Jarrett Allen finished with 11.

Despite the scoring, Allen struggled with his ball control, racking up seven turnovers. Jones and Roach each finished with three turnovers.

The Longhorns now return to the Frank Erwin Center, where they have only lost twice this season. The team takes on TCU on Wednesday at 7 p.m.