Texas lands 2017 four-star point guard, Allen earns conference honor

The Longhorns may have landed the floor general they’ve been looking for. 

Matt Coleman, a four-star point guard prospect out of Oak Hill Academy, announced his commitment to Texas Monday morning during an ESPNU telecast. Coleman is the 26th rated prospect in the nation according to the ESPN 100, and the No. 1 prospect in his home state of Virginia. 

Coleman received offers from a number of schools, including Duke, Kansas, and Louisville. Duke and Texas were considered the frontrunners leading into his announcement.

The point guard emphasized fit on why he ultimately chose Texas over the Blue Devils. 

“It was just watching both teams play, and just finding out where I was needed more,” Coleman said during the telecast. “Constantly hearing that Texas needs a point guard, you know, things would be different if they had a point guard. I know I’ll have the ball in my hands from day one.” 

The 6’1, 174 pound point guard has been heavily recruited by head coach Shaka Smart. The Texas coach started the recruitment process when Coleman was only in eighth grade and Smart was coaching at VCU.

Coleman joins a 2017 Texas recruiting class that features three other four-star players, center Jericho Sims, forward Royce Hamm and guard Jase Febres. Sims and Hamm also rank in the ESPN 100, at 66th and 73rd, respectively. Coleman’s commitment sent the Longhorns climbing from the No. 12 recruiting class in the country to No. 6, per 247 Sports. 

The true point guard will be a much needed addition to a Texas squad that has struggled to find production at the point guard position. The Longhorns rank last in the Big 12 in assists, averaging just over 11 per game. 

Coleman feels he’s ready to make an immediate impact on the team. 

“From the jump, I’m poised with a little savvy in my game,” Coleman said. “[Texas has] a lot of scorers, they just need someone to get them the ball and make life easier.”

Coleman will join a talented young Texas team which will include freshman forward Jarrett Allen, barring an Allen decision to leave early for the NBA.

The freshman was named Phillips 66 Big 12 Conference Co-Newcomer of the Week for his play last week, his first reception of that honor. 

Allen averaged 18.5 points, eight boards and two blocks in losing efforts to TCU and West Virginia. He scored a career-high 19 points against the Mountaineers.

Allen was finally awarded for his consistent play all season. Allen leads the team in rebounding and is second in scoring, having reached double-digit points in 11 out of 17 games. 

Allen and the Longhorns travel to Waco Tuesday night to take on No. 6 Baylor at 6 p.m. The squad looks to snap a three-game losing skid.