Big 12 Notebook: Women’s basketball whiparound

2017-01-29_Texas_vs_West_Virginia_Joshua

Baylor returns to winning ways against TCU

After suffering their first loss in Big 12 play last week against Texas, the Lady Bears bounced back on Sunday with a 91-73 victory against TCU.

Marked by dominant perimeter defense and a 55-30 rebounding advantage, Baylor controlled the game for most of the contest, never trailing after the two-minute mark in the first quarter.

Senior guard Alexis Prince recorded a double-double for the Lady Bears with a team-high 19 points and 10 rebounds.

TCU junior AJ Alix led all scorers with 21 points.

Next, TCU (12–12, 4–9 conference) will travel to Stillwater, Oklahoma, to face Oklahoma State on Wednesday. Baylor (24–2, 13–1 conference) will host the same Cowgirl squad Saturday.

West Virginia dominates Oklahoma State

When the final buzzer sounded Saturday, the Lady Mountaineers were able to claim an impressive win against Oklahoma State.

West Virginia showcased its offensive firepower against the Cowgirls, shooting an outstanding 58.6 percent from behind the three-point line.

Sophomore guard Tynice Martin, 2015–2016 Big 12 Freshman of the Year, finished with a game-high 30 points and seven three-pointers for the Mountaineers.

On the other side, Oklahoma State never found its footing on the offensive end. The Cowgirls only shot 37.3 percent from the field and an abysmal 16.7 percent behind the three-point arc.

West Virginia (17–8, 5–8 conference) will host Kansas State on Wednesday in its next Big 12 battle.

Sooners win fourth straight versus Texas Tech

No. 19 Oklahoma continued their winning streak on Saturday in a tight battle against Texas Tech.

Despite a poor shooting performance, Oklahoma overcame an 11-point deficit thanks to 36 combined points from freshman guard Chelsea Dungee and junior guard Gabbi Ortiz.

Turnovers dashed the Red Raiders’ upset bid, as Texas Tech turned the ball over 19 times.

The Sooners (20–6, 11–3 conference) will look to extend their streak against Texas on Saturday, while Texas Tech (11–13, 3–10 conference) will travel to Ames, Iowa, to take on Iowa State on Wednesday night.

Wildcats handle Iowa State at home  

No. 25 Kansas State found the win column once again Saturday after the Wildcats pulled away in the final minutes to down Iowa State.

Senior guard Kindred Wesemann had a team-high 17 points, and freshman forward Lanie Page contributed 16 points of her own to help the Wildcats to victory.

The Cyclones closed the gap to four points with three minutes left in the fourth quarter, but Kansas State guard Shaelyn Martin tipped in two big shots in the final minutes to put the game out of reach. 

Iowa State guard Emily Durr led all scorers with 20 points. 

Both teams will be back in action on Wednesday. Kansas State (18–7, 8–5 conference) will travel to West Virginia on Wednesday, and Iowa State (13–11, 4–9 conference) is set to host Texas Tech.