Texas falls to Oklahoma on the road, 70-66

2017-01-23_Texas_vs_Oklahoma_Joshua

So much of Tuesday night’s matchup in Norman between Texas and Oklahoma mirrored the two teams’ first meeting in Austin last month.

In both games, Texas held a lead at halftime, held a firm lead in the second half, then let it slip away late. And in both games, with under 20 seconds to play, Texas had the ball and trailed by five.

Only this time there would be no last-second heroics from sophomore guard Eric Davis Jr. and freshman guard Andrew Jones, who each hit late three-pointers to help the Longhorns narrowly escape Oklahoma with a win on Jan. 23.

This time it was too little, too late, with Texas falling to the Sooners, 70-66.

The Longhorns (10–16, 4–9 Big 12) dropped to 0-12 in games away from the Frank Erwin Center this season.

Freshman forward Jarrett Allen posted his 10th double-double of the season, finishing with 17 points and 10 rebounds. Three other Longhorns — Jones, sophomore guard Kerwin Roach Jr. and senior forward Shaquille Cleare — finished in double figures.

Texas outshot the Sooners 47 percent to 37 percent, but only made 7 of 16 shots from the free throw line.

A couple of three-pointers by Jones in the early going helped give the Longhorns a much-needed offensive spark. Texas jumped out to a 15-9 advantage by the first media timeout.

The Longhorns extended their lead to 29-21 with 6:48 left in the first half before Oklahoma started to creep back in it.

The Sooners went on a 9-2 run over the next two minutes to cut the deficit to 31-30. 

An authoritative dunk by Allen helped Texas swing back some of the momentum in its favor.

A layup by senior forward C.J. Cole gave Oklahoma its first lead of the game at 38-37 with 1:22 left before the break. Roach’s layup ensured Texas of a 39-38 lead heading into the half.

Texas went on a quick 6-0 run right out of the break to take a 45-38 lead. 

The Longhorns then led 49-43, but fell cold as ice on offense. Texas went the next 6:25 without any points while Oklahoma went on a 10-0 run to take a 53-49 lead. A free throw by Allen finally stopped the offensive drought for Texas.

Roach drove to the lane and completed an acrobatic reverse layup to give the lead back to the Longhorns at 54-53 with 8:15 remaining in the game. Texas held its final lead of the game at 56-55 with 5:35 left before Oklahoma took control for good.

The Sooners went on a 12-3 run over the next 4:26 to take a commanding 67-59 lead with just over a minute remaining. But the deficit this time was too much to overcome for Texas.

The Longhorns return home on Saturday after a two-game road trip to face Kansas State (16–9, 5–7).

Texas lost the first meeting in Manhattan earlier this season, 65-62.