‘Double Toasted’ offers an unconventional and raunchy take on movie reviews

2017-02-13_Double_Toaste_Movie_Podcast_Angel
Angel Ulloa

“Better than Sex” isn’t a rating most critics tend to give out to movies, but when it comes to their reviews, the “Double Toasted” crew has a style all of their own.

In 2014, Korey Coleman and Martin Thomas launched “Double Toasted”, a subscriber-based podcast that focuses on film and entertainment. The podcast streams a different segment every day, each with its own purpose and personality, but their most popular segment is Wednesday night’s “Movie Review Extravaganza”, led by Coleman and Thomas and two other rotating members. “Double Toasted” uses an innovative, raunchy ratings system that ranges from “Better than Sex”—for any movie that’s off the charts—to “F*ck You!”—movies so awful they’re downright insulting.

“It adds to the conversational nature of how we talk about movies,” Coleman said.

Coleman and Thomas’ rating system is a remnant of a previous project, Spill.com, a website launched in 2008 that gave movie reviews in the form of cartoon skits. After their website was bought by Hollywood.com, and a subsequent brief hiatus Coleman and Thomas were pressured by fans to open a Kickstarter to pursue something new. Though they initially aimed for $30,000, that amount was soon quadrupled with overwhelming support. “Double Toasted” was soon born and currently has over 64,000 subscribers.

Double Toasted is a culmination of Coleman and Thomas’ partnership since their time on The Reel Deal in the late 90s. Their lasting power, especially in today’s digital age, surrounded by so much white noise from media content, involves more than talent.

“With technology how it is now, there are so many things that’ll come into your sphere that’ll just drop off,” Thomas said. “It’s a matter of outlasting.”

The pair also highlighted the importance of remaining consistent with work ethic. Despite having to simultaneously run the cameras and keep the stream running smoothly while the show is on air, Coleman feels having more creative freedom is worth it.

“There’s an entrepreneurial level to this now,” Coleman stated. “There’s a lot that comes with ownership that I’m glad I have now and took for granted before.”

As “Double Toasted” expands further, Coleman said he sometimes finds it difficult to strike a balance between pleasing paying subscribers and staying true to the show’s mission. Regardless, Coleman’s top priority is making a good show.

“The most offensive thing to me is coming into to the studio and not trying our best,” Coleman said. 

Ian Butcher, a longtime fan of the crew’s work since the Spill.com days, drove all the way down from Corvallis, Oregon to Austin to pursue a career in film making. He said he was captivated with the way “Double Toasted” described Austin. 

“Listening to them and talking about Austin all the time kind of implanted it in my head,” said Butcher in regards to the podcast. “Austin was the first place on my radar.”

Butcher recently went from being an intern at the studio to co-hosting alongside Sammy Gonzalez for “Sammy Ain’t Seen Sh*t”, a segment that focuses on classic movies. Though being on a live podcast makes him
anxious, he said he appreciates the comfort he feels bantering with co-hosts. As the “Double Toasted” crew begins to bounce off quips and ideas, Butcher suddenly forgets the cameras are even there.

As a fan, Butcher still attends the live shows and admires the camaraderie of the crew.

“That’s the thing that got me into these guys in the first place,” Butcher said. “Listening to them was like having a conversation—like being at a party with your best friend.”