MedSpring Urgent Care on Guadalupe closes

2017-02-14_Med_Spring_closing_Angel
Angel Ulloa

The MedSpring Urgent Care located at Guadalupe and 21st streets closes permanently tonight at 9 p.m.

Open since August 2011, the clinic served the University and West Campus residents on both a walk-in and appointment basis. It is replaced by an already-open location on Burnet Road.

“We opted to close this location out of convenience,” said Nerissa Sardi, vice president of marketing at MedSpring. “That particular location, while it’s in a busy area, doesn’t have a lot of parking, which is not very convenient for a lot of folks who need urgent care.”

The new location at 7212 Burnet Road is almost five miles from campus, but it is located along major bus routes to ensure access for University students. 

All patient records at MedSpring are secured and stored digitally for easy access at all locations, so anyone who visits the new clinic or any of their other locations won’t have to share all of their medical information again, Sardi said.

In addition to signs on the clinic’s windows, MedSpring’s website also includes a notice informing visitors of the closure. The clinic has already moved its x-ray equipment to the facility on Burnet Road, which means they cannot provide x-ray services at the Guadalupe clinic right now.

Biology freshman Christine Huang said she will miss the convenience of MedSpring’s long hours. University Health Services is only open on weekdays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., while MedSpring is open 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. all week long, including weekends. Huang said the few times she went to the clinic, they had rapid service and always made sure to explain her medical issues in an easy-to-understand way.

“Before coming to UT, I would always go to MedSpring back home, so it’s something that’s familiar to me,” Huang said. “Not having them near campus makes me a little nervous, so I was a little upset that they’re closing.”

Compared to other urgent care clinics, Lauren Shkolmick, a health and society sophomore, said MedSpring was a lot cheaper, and she appreciated the way they treated her injury with immediacy and concern.

“My experience (there) was really good,” Lauren said. “And honestly, I’m kind of sad (that they’re closing) because I think it’s a great location. I mean, I needed it, and it was right there.”