No. 8 Texas set to host No. 24 Columbia

The No. 8 Longhorns are coming off a whirlwind of emotions after rallying Wednesday to defeat No. 2 Ohio State, 4-3.

The celebration got cut short, however, as Texas now shifts its focus to a matchup against No. 24 Columbia on Friday at Caswell Tennis Center.

The Longhorns clicked on all cylinders down the stretch of Wednesday’s win, claiming the final four points after falling behind 3-0.

Sophomore Rodrigo Banzer completed the comeback with a 7-5, 4-6, 7-6 win over Ohio State’s Kyle Seelig.

“I had a pretty bad start,” Banzer said. “But I got more confidence with my game and my service in the second set, and I finished playing really well.”

It’s that momentum that Texas hopes to carry into Friday.

“That win was the ultimate team effort,” head coach Michael Center said. “But it isn’t something we can sit on. We’ve got to be professional, build on it and move forward.”

The match with Columbia marks the Longhorns’ sixth straight meeting against a top-50 opponent – their toughest stretch of the season.

Columbia walks in on a high note of their own. The Lions are on a seven-game win streak that includes wins over No. 15 Cornell and No. 22 TCU.

“Columbia is a very good team,” Center said. “They’re a top-10 to top-15 team in my opinion.”

Fans made their presence known in the match against the Buckeyes, rooting on their Longhorns from start to finish. The same energy is expected to be surging through Caswell Friday as Texas looks to topple the Lions.

“The atmosphere was awesome,” Center said. “I just can’t thank the fans enough, and I hope to see them all again come Friday.”

The Longhorns are scheduled to begin their match against Columbia at 4:30 p.m.