Zoology professor to receive prestigious career achievement award for work in animal behavior

The Animal Behavior Society is giving its most prestigious award to UT zoology professor Mike Ryan in recognition of an “outstanding career in animal behavior,” according to the society’s February newsletter.

Ryan will receive the 2017 Distinguished Animal Behaviorist Award, which is the highest award in the field, according to ABS president William Searcy. Ryan has taught in the College of Natural Sciences since 1984 and is the Clark Hubbs Regents Professor in Zoology in the Department of Integrative Biology.

Jonathan Pruitt, a professor at the University of California, Santa Barbara, nominated Ryan for the award. Pruitt said there was more competition for the award this year than any other year he’s been involved with ABS, and he is surprised Ryan didn’t receive this award earlier. 

“Mike Ryan is one of these people that thinks about what could be possible, and then does it,” Pruitt said. “He’s managed to recruit fabulous students who he turns into fabulous scientists. You can’t go to an animal behavior meeting or conference without bumping into his students all over the place or people who he’s influenced positively. Not only has he had a successful career, but he’s spawned some of the most broadly appreciated, respected names in our discipline as well.”

Caitlin Leslie is an ecology, evolution and behavior Ph.D. candidate who works with Ryan. Leslie said Ryan deserves the award because of his dedication and influence in the field. 

“He’s incredibly hardworking and incredibly dedicated, which, as kind of a young scientist, is really admirable,” Leslie said. “He’s very kind and very thoughtful, and as a graduate student, you definitely feel like he’s got your back and he’s kind of taking care of you, so he’s a very good mentor.”

Ryan’s research targets animal communication and sexual selection among the evolution of animal behavior. Ryan said he is very flattered to be recognized for the award, and he hopes to continue his studies as well as introduce the general public to animal beauty and behavior. 

“It’s been very rewarding to be able to understand some things in nature in a way that’s different than we understood them before,” Ryan said. “But what’s equally rewarding is being able to introduce generations of students, both undergraduate and graduate students, to this kind of appreciation of nature.” 

Ryan will receive the award at the annual ABS meeting in June.