Mathis, Longhorns get revenge on Bobcats

2017-02-25_Texas_vs_UCONN_Joshua

Texas didn’t waste any time avenging the walkoff loss it suffered to Texas State earlier in the season.

The Longhorns hosted the Bobcats at UFCU Disch-Falk Field for their second game, coming three weeks after an 11–10 loss in extra innings in San Marcos. But Texas made sure that didn’t
happen again.

The Longhorns jumped out to an early 4–0 lead in the first inning, and used a two-run homer from junior right fielder Patrick Mathis to polish off their 9-2 win over Texas State two days after the Red River Rivalry.

“It was great Tuesday night win on a short week after a very emotional weekend,” head coach David Pierce said. “For us to come back and really play well, I thought was big for our team and the maturity of our team.”

Both the Texas and Texas State pitchers allowed three hits in the first inning, but sophomore Nick Kennedy got the better deal between the two.

Kennedy loaded the bases after giving up three-consecutive base hits to start the ballgame. But the left-hander managed to keep Texas State off the board by escaping two bases-loaded situations without giving up a run. Redshirt sophomore catcher Michael McCann contributed to the relentless defensive effort by tagging a Bobcat runner out at the plate.

“We got great pitching,” Pierce said. “We did a great job in the first inning when they had bases loaded and nobody out and we were able to get out unscathed.”

Texas State pitcher Cam Baird, however, wasn’t nearly as fortunate. Baird gave up just as many hits as Kennedy in the first, but freshman third baseman Ryan Reynolds lit the fuse to erupt Texas’ scoring in the game.

Reynolds sent a shot to deep right that appeared to have enough to clear the fence, but it bounced off the right field wall — still good enough for an RBI double. The Longhorns crossed home plate three more times in the first to break out to the 4-0 lead.

Texas State cut the lead to 5-2 after a two-run fourth inning, and that was too close for comfort for Mathis, who recently returned to the field after suffering a lower leg strain against then-No. 17 Texas A&M on March 14. Mathis responded with a two-run blast over the left field wall to give the Longhorns a 7-2 lead in the eighth inning in his first start since March 12.

“It felt amazing,” Mathis said. “I was so excited just to be back in the lineup. Going through the at bat, he threw me the same pitch right before. It was down and away and I just reacted to the ball and let my hands work.”  

Blair Henley, freshman right-handed pitcher took the mound in the ninth to conclude the 9–2 victory.

Texas improved to 23–13 overall after the Tuesday night victory, splitting the season series with Texas State with the third and final game between the two set for next Tuesday. The Longhorns resume conference play Thursday evening when they travel to Waco for a three-game series at Baylor.