UT junior victim of fatal moped crash

aTOWERMUGSTOCKcorrectcrop
Caleb Kuntz

Update (12:45 p.m.): The Austin Police Department has confirmed the identity of the 22-year-old victim of fatal crash between a moped and a school bus Monday as UT junior Nancy-Jane David, according to an APD press release Wednesday.

According to the release, APD’s preliminary investigation shows that David was traveling on a moped southbound on Manor Road while a school bus was traveling northbound in the 3700 block of Manor Road. For unknown reasons, David began to swerve into the northbound lanes of Manor Road, striking the bus head-on. APD responded to the crash at 7:19 p.m. Monday evening, where David was pronounced deceased at the scene.

–Catherine Marfin

Original story: The 22-year-old victim of a fatal crash between a moped and a school bus Monday evening was UT junior Nancy-Jane David, according to the Austin-American Statesman.

Her sorority, Chi Omega, will hold a public candlelight vigil at the Tower at 8 p.m. Wednesday. “She was beautiful, pure, adventurous, positive, and joyful,” the sorority said in a Facebook post. “Our members are heartbroken at the loss of such a perfect, beautiful human that was taken from us too soon.”

Jane Ragsdale, the director of Central Texas summer camp Heart O’ the Hills Camp for Girls where David used to work, confirmed that David was the victim of the crash, according to the Statesman.

APD still has not confirmed the identity of the moped driver. APD received a call regarding the crash at 7:21 p.m. Monday, where police say the moped driver was hit from behind while riding a moped on Manor Road near Mueller. Austin-Travis County Emergency Medical Services confirmed the victim was pronounced dead at the scene.

The school bus, which was not carrying passengers, is owned by an individual and does not belong to any school or school district, APD said.

The driver stopped and cooperated with police after hitting David. APD said they are investigating the case to determine if anyone is at fault.