Gregory Vincent leaves UT for alma mater

Gregory_Vincent_Tess
Tess Cagle

Gregory Vincent, vice president for diversity and community engagement, announced Thursday he will leave UT to serve as president of his alma mater, Hobart and William Smith Colleges in New York state, starting on July 16.

In a letter to the Division of Diversity and Community Engagement, Vincent said he is excited to begin a new phase of his career in Geneva, New York, but the farewell
is bittersweet.

“As you can imagine, the decision to leave UT was a difficult one,” Vincent said. “The University of Texas at Austin has always been an exciting, fulfilling place to be. The DDCE’s work strengthening the diverse and inclusive culture at one of the finest public research institutions in the nation has been some of the most rewarding work I’ve undertaken during my career.”

Vincent said he will be working closely with UT president Gregory Fenves over the next few months to continue work on multiple initiatives on campus and in
the community.

UT President Fenves said in a statement Vincent was the first person to serve as vice president for diversity and community engagement.

“Over the course of his 11 years as VP, he elevated our University’s commitment to inclusion in many ways,” Fenves said. “Throughout his tenure, Dr. Vincent developed innovative approaches to recruit and support diverse faculty members and graduate students.”

Fenves said Vincent led the effort behind the University Diversity and Inclusion Action Plan, an initiative to
create a more inclusive campus for students, faculty members and staff members. 

“One of the most powerful memories I have from our time working together was walking beside Dr. Vincent on the front steps of the U.S. Supreme Court after the oral arguments in the Fisher v. University of Texas case in 2015,” Fenves said. “Dr. Vincent was central to UT’s successful effort to uphold the use of race and ethnicity as part of our admissions process, and we walked out of the court that day, together, proud that we had made the argument in support of the educational benefits of diversity.”

Fenves encouraged students and faculty to congratulate Vincent on the service he has provided to the University. 

“The legacy of his leadership will continue to shape our University for many years to come,” Fenves said.