Texas looks to close out the regular season

2017-03-25_Tennis_VS_Texas_Tech_Angel
Angel Ulloa

The No. 25 Longhorns (10–7, 4–3 Big 12) will host two conference opponents this weekend to end a fairly strong regular season.

Last time out, Texas played a stellar No. 15 Baylor team that had been rising in the national rankings all season. The Bears ended the Longhorns’ three-match winning streak with a commanding 4-2 victory.

“I definitely give our ladies a ton of credit for making a match of it in the end,” head coach Howard Joffe said.

Texas’ first matchup of the weekend will be against No. 27 Kansas (12–7, 4–3 Big 12).

The Jayhawks come into this match having lost three of their last four matches, failing to find consistency to close out their conference season.

Kansas will look to their star player — 74th-ranked Anastasia Rychagova — to rally the Jayhawks to a late season victory over a young Texas squad.

The first serve of the match comes Friday at 4 p.m. at Whitaker Courts in Austin and will serve as the Longhorns’ senior day. Free tacos will be provided for all fans in attendance after the match against the Jayhawks. 

After the match, the team plans to honor Neda Koprcina. The 79th-ranked senior closes out a memorable Texas career. She has won her last seven singles matches and is unbeaten in her last nine matches dating back to March 5.

Koprcina has been a staple for Texas since she stepped on campus. The last time she dropped a conference match was during her sophomore season.

The last match of the weekend for Texas will be against Kansas State (10–12, 2–5 Big 12).

The Wildcats have not had a very promising conference season, only winning two matches in Big 12 play. They currently sit just two spots above last place in the Big 12 rankings. 

Sunday’s matchup with the Wildcats, which takes place at noon at Whitaker Courts, presents the Longhorns with a chance to put a final stamp on an up-and-down regular season in conference play.