Ragin’ Cajuns sting Longhorns with blowout win

2017-04-22_Texas_vs_New_Orleans_Baseball_Joshua

The Longhorns have been dominating at home this season with a 23–7 record.

They entered the match against Louisiana with a home field advantage, but this time, home was at Constellation Field in Sugar Land, Texas. The Longhorns couldn’t find comfort away from UFCU Disch-Falk Field Tuesday night during their 8-1 loss to the Ragin’ Cajuns.

The No. 24 Ragin’ Cajuns came out swinging from the start of the game. They blasted six runs in the second inning, stunning Texas with a 7-0 lead. Texas freshman pitcher Blair Henley couldn’t settle in on the mound and was taken out of the game as a result of giving up five earned runs in just 1.1 innings.

But things didn’t get much brighter for Texas after senior reliever Jon Malmin replaced Henley on the mound. Malmin gave up two runs during the Ragin’ Cajuns’ second-inning rally and couldn’t retire a batter before he was also removed from the game.

Junior infielder Jake McKenzie finally found a way to stop the bleeding by escaping from further damage when he relieved Malmin in the second inning. The right-hander threw 3.2 scoreless innings, while hoping for some run support from the Longhorn offense.

However, McKenzie left the mound before the Longhorns could even score one run. They barely escaped being shut out by Louisiana — sophomore outfielder Tyler Rand was the only Longhorn to bring in a run with an RBI single in the ninth inning. But Rand’s late effort wasn’t enough to spark up a rally for the Longhorns, and the Ragin’ Cajuns clinched the 8-1 blowout victory as a result.

The loss breaks Texas’ five-game winning streak, dropping the Longhorns’ record to 28–16. The Longhorns have two days off before they travel to Stillwater, Oklahoma for a three-game series with Oklahoma State.