SG fast-tracks Brown memorial resolution

2017-05-03_SG_Ann
Ann Morris

The Student Government Assembly unanimously passed a resolution in memory of undergraduate studies freshman Harrison Brown Tuesday evening.

On Monday afternoon, an attacker killed Brown in an on-campus stabbing near Gregory Gymnasium.

Four alumni who worked with Brown’s older brother John Brown during their shared time in SG raced to submit Assembly Resolution 11 before SG’s final meeting of the semester last night. SG fast-tracked the resolution, which was submitted less than two hours before the assembly meeting began, so it could be approved and sent to Brown’s family as soon as possible.

The authors of AR 11 reached out to University-Wide Representative Charlie Bonner to have the resolution placed before SG that night.

“I was honored that they asked me to be a part of this for Harrison’s family,” said Bonner, a Plan II and government junior. “It made the situation a lot closer to home the more I got to learn about him and what a vital part of this campus community that he was.”

Bonner said this resolution is one small tribute SG can give to Brown’s family and the student body before they break for the summer.

“One of the most important roles that the student assembly has is speaking for the student body, especially when we have tragedies like the one that occurred (Monday),” Bonner said.

Student Body President Alejandrina Guzman said she wants this resolution to show the student body and Brown’s family, friends and loved ones they are not alone.

“(AR 11) leaves a legacy of a life that was tragically taken away from us,” said Guzman, Mexican-American studies, government and Plan II honors senior. “I think this really serves as a light for everyone on campus.”

In the coming weeks, Guzman said SG will be working on more tangible ways to honor Brown’s legacy and reassure students of their safety.

The SG assembly also passed AR 10, which supports forming a Methane Emissions Working Group to work with UT System administrators. The authors said this resolution serves as a follow-up to a resolution last semester that asked Chancellor William McRaven to reduce methane emissions on System-owned lands.

“It’s a problem every single day that emissions are still rising,” said nursing representative Kelsey Mumford, a nursing and biology senior. “We want to give this committee the chance to research this problem.”