Alumnus shot at congressional baseball practice

aTOWERMUGSTOCKcorrectcrop
Caleb Kuntz

UT alumnus Zachary Barth was injured when a lone gunman opened fire during a Republican congressional baseball practice early Wednesday morning.

Five people were shot, including Steve Scalise, the majority whip of the House of Representatives, according to reports from lawmakers who attended the practice.

“At approximately 7 a.m. EDT this morning, an armed gunman arrived at baseball practice and opened fire,” according to a statement from Congressman Roger Williams’, R-Austin, office. “Congressman Williams was not shot, however a member of his staff was shot and is receiving medical attention. The gunman has been detained and at this time we do not have any further information, but will continue to release it as it comes to surface.”

Williams, who was present during the shooting, later confirmed via Twitter that Barth, a member of his staff, was injured.

“I now can confirm that Zack Barth, who is a legislative correspondent in my office, was shot this morning at baseball practice,” Williams said on his Twitter. “He is receiving medical attention but is doing well and is expected to make a full recovery. We ask that you please respect the privacy of him and his family during this difficult time.”

Barth graduated from the University in 2015 with a B.A. in government, according to his LinkedIn page.

UT President Gregory Fenves wished Barth a “speedy recovery” on Twitter after hearing about his injury.  

President Trump said the alleged shooter, who was identified as James Hodgkinson, 66, of Belleville, Illinois, died from the injuries he sustained after exchanging gunfire with two Capitol police officers.