President Trump to visit Austin for briefing on hurricane damage

2016-08-24_DonaldTrump_Joshua

Update:

President Donald Trump and first lady Melania Trump will be stopping in Austin this afternoon following a visit to Corpus Christi to see the damage caused by Hurricane Harvey.

President Trump’s itinerary, released this morning, said he lands at Austin-Bergstrom International Airport at approximately 2:25 p.m. They will immediately head to the Texas Department of Public Safety Emergency Operations Center at North Lamar Boulevard and West Koenig Lane for a tour.

Shortly after, the Trumps are receiving a briefing on the hurricane damage from Gov. Greg Abbott and other state leaders.

The estimated departure time for the Trumps to leave Austin and fly back to D.C. is 4:20 p.m., expect flight delays around both his arrival and departure times. Expect early rush hour traffic delays due to roadway blocks for Trump’s presidential motorcade as he is taken back to Austin-Bergstrom. His exact motorcade route to or from the Emergency Operations Center was not released.

Yesterday, Mayor Steve Adler told the Austin American-Statesman that city officials were preparing for a possible visit by the president.

At the moment, President Trump’s schedule says only the out-of-town press pool will be with him throughout the day for media coverage.

Check back for updates later today on the president’s and first lady’s visit.

Original: 

Mayor Steve Adler told the Austin American-Statesman that City of Austin officials are preparing for a possible visit by President Donald Trump on Tuesday as he tours areas that have been affected by Hurricane Harvey.

Adler also said the city is currently in touch with federal officials to schedule the visit, but at the very least he said he wants to make sure the city is prepared for the possibility.

An official with the city’s media office told The Daily Texan all information about the president’s itinerary would come from the White House. At the moment, no further information has been released regarding whether or not this visit will happen nor when it would occur.