Women’s golf records second top-five finish of the season

2016-10-18_Womens_Golf_Juan
Juan Figueroa

The Longhorns tied for fourth place at the Annika Intercollegiate at Olympic Hills Golf Club in Minneapolis, Minnesota, giving the team its second top-five finish this season. Senior Sophia Schubert led the team with a seventh-place finish in her first tournament back from competing in the Evian Championship in France. 

Texas tied its 18-hole team record set just last week with a 274 in the second round at Olympic Hills.

The feat was accomplished with the help of Schubert’s 5-under 67, sophomore Emilee Hoffman’s 4-under 68, sophomore Greta Voelker’s season-best 3-under 69 and freshman Kaitlyn Papp’s 2-under 70. Papp’s round was her third bogey-free round this season.

“I don’t think I missed a fairway,” Papp said. “I was hitting a ton of greens so it was easy to make a lot of pars. I went bogey-free, which I was happy with.”

Schubert’s second round was just one stroke shy of her collegiate best of 66. She had seven birdies on the day.

“My round was really good,” Schubert said. “I was striking the ball great. I haven’t hit the ball this well in a while.”

Hoffman recorded her third top-25 finish this season, coming in 21st place at 3-over par. She also totaled seven birdies in
Monday’s round.

“Today was great,” Hoffman said. “I recognized when I could play aggressive and conservative on holes, and picked really good spots.”

Other notable finishes for the Longhorns included a tie for 26th place by Papp and Voelker and a tie for 39th place by freshman Agathe Laisne. It was also Laisne’s first collegiate event after competing in France along with Schubert.

The two top-five finishes this season represent a strong start for the Longhorns. The entire team feels that this is just a small dose of what’s to come this season.

“As a team, we have a great group of girls this year,” Hoffman said. “I believe we have a chance to compete against the best teams in the country.”

The Longhorns look to continue their hot streak with home-course advantage next week, as they compete in the Betsy Rawls Invitational at the University of Texas Golf Club in Austin.