Former Longhorns prepare for week five of NFL season

Football_105_2014-10-25_Texas_vs_Kansas_State_Jonathan
Jonathan Garza

With over 20 Longhorns currently suiting up on Sundays in the NFL, the Texas spirit is alive and well throughout the league. Here are a few former Longhorns to keep your eye on in week five of the NFL season.

Malcom Brown

Brown and the New England Patriots travel to Tampa Bay to take on Jameis Winston and the Buccaneers this week on Thursday Night Football. Brown, a defensive tackle, has the second-most tackles on the New England defensive line. The former first-round pick has morphed into a key piece on the Patriots’ defense, but has yet to earn his first sack of the season. He’ll have another chance Thursday night at 7:25 p.m.

Jordan Hicks

Hicks, the starting middle linebacker for the Philadelphia Eagles, has quickly made a name for himself. The former third-round pick is looking to build on a sophomore campaign that included a league-high five interceptions among linebackers, along with 58 tackles. Now he’s an anchor on Philadelphia’s defense, which will look to slow down wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and the Arizona Cardinals in week five. A win will place the Eagles at 4–1 on the season and possibly grant Philadelphia a commanding lead in the NFC East over both the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys. Kickoff for the Eagles is slated for 12 p.m. on Sunday.

Derrick Johnson

After tearing his Achilles in 2016, Johnson is working his way back to playing at his usual Pro Bowl level as a linebacker. While he is averaging just four tackles per game this year, don’t bet against Johnson, the all-time leading tackler in franchise history. And according to his head coach, Johnson still has plenty left in the tank. “He comes out like he is 20,” Chiefs’ head coach Andy Reid said. Johnson will next take the field in prime time as the Chiefs face the Texans on Sunday at 7:30 p.m. The game will be broadcast
on NBC.