David Carter wins Police Chief of the Year

Police_1012_2016-10-05_Student_Government_Chase
Chase Karacostas

UT System named UT Police Chief David Carter the 2017 Police Chief of the Year.

Director of Police Michael Heidingsfield annually picks Police Chief of the Year out of the 14 UT System police chiefs and said Carter is the consummate law enforcement leader.

“He is a thoughtful and dedicated police executive who embraces the community that the (UT Police Department) serves,” Heidingsfield said in an email. “He tirelessly works to make the campus community safer and mentors and coaches his (UTPD) team members. David’s pursuit of professionalism sets the standard for all of us.”

Carter entered the UT System four years ago, replacing Robert Dahlstrom as UTPD chief in July 2013. Carter began his career in law enforcement when he joined the Austin Police Department in 1985 as a patrol officer, later advancing to assistant chief and eventually chief of staff.

Over the years, Carter has won many awards such as the Distinguished Service Cross for Valor and the Distinguished Command Medal.

“I am humbled and honored to received the award of Chief of Police of the Year from UT System,” Carter said in an emailed statement. “UTPD will continue to work hard to achieve our mission of ‘Protecting those who will change the world.’”

Darrell Bazzell, UT senior vice president and CFO, released a statement yesterday about Carter being awarded.

“I’m so pleased that the UT System has honored Chief David Carter in this way,” Bazzell said in an emailed statement. “As is everyone in UTPD, the chief’s co-workers in Campus Safety and Security, and his peers and friends throughout the Financial and Administrative Services Portfolio.”

Bazzell said he is grateful for Chief Carter’s service to campus.

“The University is fortunate enough to have his caliber of law enforcement professional leading our police force,” Bazzell said in the email. “This prestigious recognition of Chief Carter is well deserved.”

Bob Harkins, associate vice president in campus safety and security, also extended his congratulations to Carter.

“All members of the University Safety and Security community are deeply proud of Chief Carter,” Harkins said. “Chief is a true leader. His impact on UTPD has been significant. We are honored to work with him.”