Big 12 Notebook: TCU extends win streak, West Virginia wins in comeback

While the Longhorns made the trip up to Dallas to play in the Red River Showdown against Oklahoma, eight other Big 12 teams also squared off in conference action over the weekend. Here’s how the rest of those games shaped up in the Big 12. 

West Virginia wins in comeback

Texas Tech came into Saturday’s matchup with West Virginia off a strong win against Kansas, a game in which the Red Raiders put up 65 points. Following that win over Kansas, Texas Tech came in at No. 24 in the AP Top 25, their first appearance in the poll since 2013.

However, a potent West Virginia offense proved to be too much for the newly ranked squad. When the clock struck zero, the Mountaineers had staved off the visiting Red Raiders, winning 46-35.

Texas Tech started off strong with a quick 60-yard strike from senior quarterback Nic Shimonek. And early on, it seemed as if the electrifying air raid offense of Texas Tech might run away with the game, as the Red Raiders built a comfy 18-point lead early in the third quarter.

But the Mountaineers had no plans to go down easy. Led by quarterback Will Grier, West Virginia closed out the game with a spectacular 29-0 run to knock off Texas Tech. The redshirt junior had an elite performance in the win, throwing for five touchdowns, four of which came in the second half. 

Baylor remains winless

Baylor’s season has yet to show any signs of improvement, the team having now lost five consecutive games to start the year. Although the Bears have put together a few close contests, they have vastly underperformed. 

Things remained the same on Saturday. Baylor struggled in Stillwater, Oklahoma, losing to senior quarterback Mason Rudolph and the Cowboys’ high-octane attack. 

Oklahoma State’s offense was dominant throughout as Rudolph threw for 459 yards and three touchdowns en route to a 59-16 victory. The Cowboys’ win helped them move up to No. 10 in the national rankings.

TCU extends win streak

A week after losing in double overtime to Texas, Kansas State hosted No. 6 TCU on Saturday afternoon. The Horned Frogs entered the matchup as the lone undefeated team in the Big 12, sitting atop the conference standings after losses by Oklahoma and Oklahoma State in previous weeks. 

Kansas State has proved to be a formidable opponent in conference play this year, highlighted by its tough, grinding play. This contest, however, would prove to be more one-sided than expected. 

The Horned Frogs took an early lead on the Wildcats and never took their foot off the pedal. TCU ultimately defeated Kansas State 26-6, limiting the Wildcats’ scoring to just two field goals. The victory vaulted the Horned Frogs up to No. 4 in the national rankings.