New breakfast spot rises on Guadalupe

Donut_court_RiseBiscuitsandDonuts
Courtesy of Rise Biscuits and Donuts

After months of vacancy, Rise Biscuits and Donuts, a North Carolina-based chain, will replace the now-closed Fuzzy’s Taco Shop on Guadalupe in early 2018.

Rise will offer a variety of breakfast and lunch options and will be open daily from 7 a.m. to 2 p.m.

“We loved the location, we loved where it was, and we definitely think this is a good food concept for students as well as others,” store co-owner Shashin Desai said.

Desai said that Rise is known for their creative donut flavors.

“We have some funky donuts like our maple bacon bar, which is really popular, and a pineapple basil donut,” Desai said. “We also have the traditional glazed, chocolate glazed and sprinkled, and the donuts are made fresh every day in the store.”

Nursing freshman Kristen Tucker said she plans on going to Rise once it opens because there currently are no donut shops as close to campus.

“If I do go out and get anything for breakfast, I usually get something from the Starbucks in Jester,” Tucker said. “On the weekends I go to Kerbey Lane, but there’s not a good donut place around here so I’ve just been getting Krispy Kreme from Jester like twice a week, but they’re not fresh.”

Rise will offer items from both the breakfast and lunch menus all day, and Desai said this variety will attract students wanting different options.

“We can do biscuit sandwiches, and for lunch we also offer sandwiches on large potato roll,” Desai said. “We have quite a wide variety, but our most popular is definitely the chicken biscuit.”

There are currently 14 Rise locations across the south, one of which is outside of Dallas.

“Rise is growing down here in Texas, but it’s not at the point where we need it to be yet,” Nolan Ferguson, assistant manager of the Allen, Texas, location, said. “They typically do well in college towns. In North Carolina, there’s a line out the door at 7:30 a.m. and it pretty much stays that way until the doors close.”

Ferguson said he believes because of the shop’s proximity to campus, Rise will be popular with UT students.

“I think it’s in a really good area because kids are waking up and going to their classes early in the morning and even the afternoon classes it’ll still be open,” Ferguson said. “So it’s gonna be readily available for everyone.”