Michael Dickson wins Ray Guy Award

FB_1208_2017-10-21_UT_vs_OSU_Gabby
Gabby Lanza

Junior punter Michael Dickson was announced as the recipient of the 2017 Ray Guy Award, given to the nation’s best punter, during Thursday night’s Home Depot College Football Awards Show in Atlanta. 

Dickson is the first player in program history to win the award for the Longhorns.

“It hasn’t really sunk in yet,” Dickson told the Austin American-Statesman, “but I definitely feel like this will go down as one of my greatest moments for sure.”

Dickson beat out Utah’s Mitch Wishnowsky and Alabama’s J.K. Scott. Wishnowsky beat out Dickson for last year’s Ray Guy Award.

This season, Dickson leads the country in punt average at 48.4 yards per boot. Dickson has also tallied 34 punts this year of 50 yards or more and 14 punts of 60 yards or more. Dickson’s career-best punt came in the TCU game this season when he booted a 76-yarder.

Junior safety DeShon Elliott was the other Longhorn to join Dickson for the College Football Awards in Atlanta on Thursday night. Elliott was up for the Jim Thorpe Award, which recognizes the nation’s best defensive back, along with Alabama safety Minkah Fitzpatrick and Iowa cornerback Josh Jackson.

Fitzpatrick was announced as the winner to give the Crimson Tide its second Thorpe Award winner.

Elliott and Dickson were also selected as first team All-Americans by the Walter Camp Football Foundation on Thursday.