30: Social media staffer says goodbye

30_Giselle2017-12-11_Giselle_Juan
Juan Figueroa

Editor’s note: A 30 column is a chance for departing permanent staff to say farewell and reflect on their time spent in the The Daily Texan. The term comes from the old typesetting mark (-30-) to denote the end of a line.

I never thought this day would come, but here I am. 

These past two years with the Texan have been more than I could ask for. I grew not only as a writer but also as a person. Every column I wrote and every post I made was a thrill that is indescribable. I’m so sad to be leaving the basement but I am also excited for what the future holds. 

The Texan gave me a place in this enormous campus where I always felt welcome. I still remember how much I stumbled over my words at tryout and how much I second-guessed myself about my pitches. But I also remember how badly I wanted a position on this staff. Gaining confidence in my ideas, in the words I put out into the world, is every journalist’s goal. Thanks to my associate editors, my fellow columnists and social media staffers, I was able to accomplish that. 

Trying to put what writing means to me in a few words would not do it justice. When I saw my first column published, I could not believe it. My name on a published newspaper was something out of a dream — but I did it.* Granted, it wasn’t the perfect column. I wrote “too pretty” and used way too many words. But as that first semester went along, editing words out got easier and less hours were spent trying to perfect a column. I came back every semester with a smile on my face because I knew I’d walk down those basement steps to find a familiar face and new challenges. I encourage everyone who wants to have a voice on this campus to join The Daily Texan. You will walk away a better writer, a better person,and with some allergies thanks to the accumulating dust in the basement, but you know — you win some, you lose some. 

*Thank you to my biggest supporter — mom — who sent this first column to everyone. Everyone, I hope you liked it and I’m sorry for the spam.