Longhorn women continue dominance at Big 12 Championships

RemedyRule_2018-02-23_Big_12_Swimming_Diving_Angela
Angela Wang

“Swim fast.”

That was junior Remedy Rule’s race plan for the 100-yard butterfly Friday at the Big 12 Championships, where she earned yet another victory for Texas women’s swimming and diving, continuing its sweep of events on the first three days.  

It has become apparent that Texas is the most dominant team at the championships. Shortly after Rule’s victory in the 100-yard butterfly, Evie Pfiefer won the 400-yard individual medley for her second victory in as many days.  

“I’m just really excited to represent Texas and throw up the ‘Hook ‘em’ when I’m on the blocks after I swim,” Pfeifer said.

Quinn Carrozza continued Texas’ string of dominance in the 200-yard freestyle for her first victory of the meet, after taking second to Pfeifer in the 500-yard freestyle Thursday night.  

Sophomore Claire Adams had little trouble in the 100-yard backstroke, taking the title by more than two seconds. It was Adams’ first individual win of the meet, after being on a winning 400-yard medley relay team Thursday.

Texas had full control of the diving platforms, placing 1–4 on the 3-meter. Alison Gibson picked up where she left off on Thursday, winning the 3-meter dive after previously taking home the Big 12 title in the 1-meter.

The Longhorns capped off a sweep of the third day of events with a victory in the 200-yard freestyle relay.  

Texas takes a considerable lead in the Big 12 Championships into the final day of events on Saturday, where the Longhorns will look to complete a clean sweep of events and hoist their sixth consecutive conference title banner.